Does anyone else feel their baby/toddler prefers other people to you?

(4 Posts)
theclockticksslowly Sat 16-Aug-14 03:45:10

I don't know if I'm just being silly but I can't help thinking my 12 month old DD prefers being with and playing with other people than me. I'm meaning grandparents, uncles, aunts etc. I'm happy she had close relationships with them of course but it just feels like she'd rather be with them than me.

For example, she gets upset when they leave. Hardly ever does when I go out. When they come back she reaches out to them, not to me a lot of the time. Just seems like she has more fun with them.

It doesn't help that I don't really know what I'm doing in terms of playing with her - I find it hard to think of games to play with her. No one else seems to have that problem. I don't feel like I'm a natural mother if there is such a thing.

Is it normal to feel like this?

purplemurple1 Sat 16-Aug-14 05:31:38

Mine is literally crawling pit the door and over to his nans house (next door). I think it's just because he see us all the time and is ready for something new.

So you get out ans about much with him to play groups etc?

Oh and remember if you only had him now and again you would finish it easy to entertainhim all the time to. It doesn't make them better with him than you.

FlatPacker Sat 16-Aug-14 12:32:24

Yes it's normal. I felt a bit rejected when one of mine preferred others - anyone but me it felt like at one time. Fast-forward to about 18 months though and she started realising the importance of mother and she was much more affectionate. I'm glad I didn't fall into the trap of thinking she was an independent soul who didn't need mum - I carried on being affectionate and she came around. But no, it's fine to not have much of a clue, especially first time around. It's a great learning curve - they don't teach it in schools!

Portlypenguin Mon 18-Aug-14 11:11:42

Absolutely. DS is just 3 and always wants daddy or grandparents. Frequently shouts 'go away mummy want xxx' . People keep reassuring me this is normal....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now