What can your 20 month old say?

(13 Posts)
plinth Wed 13-Aug-14 21:58:28

DS2 is 20 months and whilst I'm not really concerned about his speech for now, I'd be interested to know what other toddlers this age can say.

I've read a few posts on here today which suggest that toddlers younger than my DS can say loads more.

DS says Peppa and George (Peppa pig fan) a lot although the George sounds more like "jdge". He says mummy but is a bit hit and miss and it's often mama instead.

He's trying to say grandma "mummaa" but grandad is pretty incomprehensible. He can say his cousins name and his cm name although won't unless prompted.

He says doggy and horsey but won't say cat or mouse unless prompted.

He only occasionally repeats what I say, eg the odd word when I'm getting him dressed or ready for bed "arm in" or "teeth". He'll say "gone" occasionally.

He says yes and no although not clearly. He will occasionally say please "peas" when prompted.

I can't think of any other words which he uses reliably.

His understanding is good and he knows parts of body, animals and their sounds, will follow instructions and point out items in a book eg "house" and "window".

Is this normal? Or on the slow side?

Thanks in advance x

stclair Wed 13-Aug-14 22:26:54

Oh, I don't think he is on the slow side. My dd2 is 2 in a few days and really only got going on the word front when she was 22 months. It seems to suddenly just click in their heads and suddenly words come and then it snowballs from there! Dd1 one also seemed behind her peers at the time but I realise now she wasn't as had definitely been talking a lot more words by the age of dd2.

Sounds lidentical to how my DS was. I thought every other child was ahead. But the reality is that even a few months makes a massive difference because Then it started snowballing. By 24m we had 50 words (a lot only understood by us) now at 26m he is doing 5 word sentances and chatting away well.

He still says jdge though for George funnily enough!

plinth Wed 13-Aug-14 22:34:14

Thanks for your replies.

It's reassuring to know others were similar. Although as I say, I was not worried exactly but...... smile

He's also bilingual though so I wonder if this will slow him up a little.

I'm just so impatient for him to get going, I can't wait to be able to chat with him!!

DontWannaBeObamasElf Fri 15-Aug-14 12:44:44

She says kick (calls a ball "kick" too), yum, mama, mummy, grandma (ama), there, where, go, I go there, rain, giraffe, zebra, owl, baby, Nala, yes, dirty, bubble, tiger, boo.

A lot of the words don't sound clear yet but I know what she means. She snorts when she sees a pig and barks when she sees a dog and she points away to things. Her way of saying "what's that?" Is to say "there".

DontWannaBeObamasElf Fri 15-Aug-14 12:45:48

I'll add that she said uh oh in March and then there was nothing until June so she's done pretty well in the last two months.

ikeaismylocal Fri 15-Aug-14 17:53:02

My ds is also bilingual and 20 months, he copies everything anyone says ( to the point where I worry it is abnormal) the other day I dropped a cup of tea on the floor and said "for fucks sake!" under my breath and he walked around saying "sake!" for the rest of the day blush

He has lots of words he uses independently ( without copying) and he makes 2/3 word mini sentences such as "bye bye bus" "mummy's shoes" "the car is blue" he also signs quite a lot due to watching too much Mr tumble blush he mixes his 2 languages so he'll say "mera ( Swedish for more) sausages" or "gunga ( Swedish for swing) again" he is starting to understand that me and dp speak different languages with him, if I tell ds to say bye bye to pappa he'll say "hej då" which is Swedish for bye bye and he'll say bye bye to me when instructed to say hej då.

Many of ds's little friends are bilingual and the range of language ability is huge, some if them can have proper little conversations with you whilst some are at the pointing and occasionally saying car stage, I think it's possibly to do with how careful the child is, my ds isn't at all afraid about attempting to say a word and it not sounding right, he was trying to say doubledecker bus today but it came out as "dubebebe bus" the children with fewer words seem to be waiting until they can properly say the words.

Mine are 22 months and a bilingual house. One DT has about 400 English words and a good few two and three sentences. She had a few words in our other language.

The other DT is way behind her sister. She had about 40 words.

Kids are all so different.

ThisFenceIsComfy Sat 16-Aug-14 11:09:33

My DS was about the same then he has a massive explosion after his birthday and now at 23 months is speaking in 3-4 word sentences.

I think they learn in spurts.

slightlyconfused85 Sat 16-Aug-14 13:58:57

21 mo dd. Can name lots of animals, most body part, says hungry, please, thank you, walk, carry, car, bus bike, all gone, chair, mummy, daddy, star, Sun, table, sit down, up, down, in, out, bath, knock knock, giggle, house, home, baby, colouring, carrots, blueberry, pear, pasta, chicken, fishy, rabbit, lots more but I can't remember, she can repeat anything you say bit might not use the word until a few days later. She has just started saying short sentences such as 'daddy all gone bike' when her dad goes off to work on his bike!

Siennasun Sat 16-Aug-14 21:00:11

Until around 18 months DS said less than 20 single words. Now 21 months he is talking in sentences, using far far more words than I could count - nouns, adjectives, verbs. He sings songs and joins in saying familiar stories. It really was an explosion of language.
His speech is still quite unclear tho, quite hard for people who don't know him to understand what he's saying.

FixItUpChappie Sat 16-Aug-14 21:11:58

Thanks for this topic - I've been a bit concerned as my DS2 seems to talk a lot less than his sibling did and a lot less than some other kids we know his age.

mine says:

-mommy
-daddy
-no
-kitty
-choo choo (for train)
-thank you
-nana (for nana and banana)
-puppy
-all done
-hat
-nose
-shhhh (for fish)
-turtle
-up
-ball
-toast

those are the most discernible things he repeatedly says but he seems to understand a lot. he also seems very frustrated - lots of angry grunting a pointing. I read somewhere he should say 50 words by now confused

HRMumness Sat 16-Aug-14 21:20:26

My ds is also bilingual and 20 months, he copies everything anyone says ( to the point where I worry it is abnormal) the other day I dropped a cup of tea on the floor and said "for fucks sake!" under my breath and he walked around saying "sake!" for the rest of the day

My DD has just turned 2. She had a tantrum and threw the ipad on the floor, I was hanging out washing and bent over to pick it up, as I turned it over I realised it was broken and said FFS under my breath very quietly. DD repeated the whole sentence blush.

She probably had the more words than the OPs DS at 20 months but not too many more, in the last 4 months she has had huge spurts. Now it is mostly sentences and her vocab has easily quadrupled. Being bilingual does often slow them down (have friends in this situation) but I'd take being able to speak multiple languages over faster development at this age. Sadly DH and I only speak English.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now