Routine for a new born.

(6 Posts)
LucyB1 Tue 05-Aug-14 16:48:42

My HV came today to see me and my 2 week old dd. she said that I should be doing things to get her into a routine already ie story, quiet at bedtime etc. does anyone else do this at such a young age. Does it matter what time we do this as I want her downstairs with us in the evenings and we go to bed about 10/11.

ThreeYorkshires Tue 05-Aug-14 16:54:18

Goodness, that's very early, don't think we even thought about any kind of routine with DS until he was about 3 months!

If you'd like to start a bedtime routine, you could always do quiet time, bath, massage and clean baby gro then feed and Moses basket? I think you're right to keep her downstairs with you until you go up, so worth seeing if she will sleep in a basket that you can just carry up. I wouldn't worry if she would rather sleep on one of you though, two weeks is very tiny for a routine!

Oh, and congratulations smile

ZenNudist Tue 05-Aug-14 17:10:54

No, just no. Ds1 I started doing bath & bed at 8wo thanks to HV. Just resulted in me fed ding upstairs more if the night.

Ds2 got regular baths when I felt like it. In the day or whilst bathing ds1. I think at some point it helps to start evening routine but if this is your first just ease into it gradually.

katandkits Tue 05-Aug-14 17:12:53

Pointless at that age in my opinion. I would wait till she is a bit older, perhaps 3 or 4 months.

thatsn0tmyname Tue 05-Aug-14 17:15:29

Personally, I would try and get yourself into a routine to help you get through the day. The baby will get itself into a routine as it grows and eventually you will both sync and find something that works for you both.

MollyBdenum Tue 05-Aug-14 17:16:17

I think at that age, a routine is just about having her with you a you do stuff. So in the daytime there will be more light and moving around, and at night there will be more staying still and darkness. And she's gradually learning stuff like that when she is hungry she gets milk so she doesn't panic, and that if she had a dirty nappy it will get changed, and the voices of the important people in her life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now