how do I get my daughter to conform to my middle class values

(16 Posts)
Tucker2014 Tue 05-Aug-14 12:39:52

what is the best way to make my daughter conform to middle class values and not shun consumerism and materialism when she gets older, I am very worried that she won’t fit

Vitalstatistix Tue 05-Aug-14 12:41:11

grin funny.

Wishfulmakeupping Tue 05-Aug-14 12:42:06

Erm what? [no comment]

AnAirOfHope82 Tue 05-Aug-14 12:51:41

Get her choseing herown clothes, shoes and bags from 18 months old and take her shopping to toy shops every weekend for new toys never fails. Then move on to hats, coats and hair assessoiries by 4 years old and then gadgets by 6+ yo.

Good luck and may she always kill the environment with plastoc tat and make the economy strong for bankers xx

Pico2 Tue 05-Aug-14 12:52:09

I don't think that they are specifically middle class values, they seem to transcend class. Which is nice.

sezamcgregor Tue 05-Aug-14 12:53:41

Once upon a time, my grandparents stood outside a polling station with my mother and her siblings.

Grandma said - "now, you know who to vote for" and marched into the polling station to cast her vote.

Grandpa said - "vote for who ever you want" and lead his children into the polling station to cast their votes.

I know which parent I would rather be.

SevenZarkSeven Tue 05-Aug-14 12:53:49

Taat?

Don't get it!

Jackie0 Tue 05-Aug-14 12:59:19

The real middle classes consider ostentatious consumerism a bit vulgar and nouveau riche.

Jackie0 Tue 05-Aug-14 13:00:09

and are much more likely to recycle and make do and mend.

Orangeanddemons Tue 05-Aug-14 13:05:11

Get her to star in 'Blinging up Baby'

Problem sorted

Orangeanddemons Tue 05-Aug-14 13:05:24

Get her to star in 'Blinging up Baby'

Problem sorted

newnamesamegame Tue 05-Aug-14 13:46:18

If you were genuinely middle class (and I'm not convinced this isn't a wind-up) you would know that shunning materialism is about as middle class as it gets. Ostentatious obsession with consumerism is something the middle classes regard as very vulgar and downmarket.

Sorry, but if you are a genuine poster you are not doing a very convincing job of being middle class and you are shallow if you think it matters enough to give your child a hang-up about it. And you need to have a word with yourself if you think encouraging a child to be materialistic is a good way to go.

ooerrmissus Tue 05-Aug-14 13:53:55

Surely that's something the au pair should teach her?

Jackie0 Tue 05-Aug-14 14:01:28

Would the nouveau riche consider themselves middle class?
Or aspiring to be?
Is the middle class something we are born into to? Can education be the ticket?
Whatever the answer is, it isn't money.
I do realise it's a joke thread btw, it would have been funnier if class hadn't come into it. I don't think people who like to bling up their babies really have any desire to be seen as middle class. They might describe themselves as successful or self made.
I'm waffling now sorry. It's something I do find quite interesting though.
How we see ourselves and how others see us.

Superworm Tue 05-Aug-14 16:25:01

I think you should try and control as much of her life as possible so she very little room to think for herself.

This is what my patents did. I'm very middle class with all associated mental health problems

MollyBdenum Tue 05-Aug-14 16:35:23

You have read all the mumsnet chicken/frugal Christmas etc threads, haven't you? Shunning consumerism (apart from second hand books and several musical instruments) is about as new class as it gets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now