When to get worried about not Walking?

(22 Posts)
Kel2013 Mon 04-Aug-14 15:41:47

Hi, My LO is 13 months and is struggling to walk unaided. He walks along the furniture etc but just falls when attempts to let go. When we try to encourage him to walk he just isn't interested. Just wondering when I should start to be concerned. I am a 1st time Mum so new to all this so maybe I'm being paranoid that there may be something wrong with him?

Is he just a late developer?

Thanks

ouryve Mon 04-Aug-14 15:43:40

13 months is absolutely normal.

DS2 was a later walker - almost 21 months. I was told about a year later that someone should have referred us at 18 months, instead of taking a wait and see approach.

PetShopGirl Mon 04-Aug-14 15:50:31

My DS walked at 15 months and I think was probably at a very similar stage to your DS at 13 months. Once he started walking, within days he was as competent as his peers who'd been walking since 10/11 months.

Absolutely nothing to worry about smile

TheFirstOfHerName Mon 04-Aug-14 15:53:44

Two of my four children were referred to a paediatrician because of delayed large motor skills. The health visitor started becoming concerned when they were still making no attempt to stand (even holding on to something) at 21 months.

widdle Mon 04-Aug-14 16:47:57

My DS is now 14 months and (just in the last couple of days) has started to stand up from sitting on his own. He now will walk only holding onto one of my fingers so I think he is finally getting there.

Your DS will do it when he's good and ready - he sounds similar to mine last month.

Understand your worry though. I'm surrounded by parents of early walkers and getting fed up of the questions as if he is delayed. No he is not - he's COMPLETELY normal - grrrrrrrrrrr

ChaffinchOfDoom Mon 04-Aug-14 16:50:28

my dd didn't walk until she was nearly 2
she's a sporty 8yo now

startwig1982 Mon 04-Aug-14 16:57:41

My ds didn't walk until 20 months. I think if they're not pulling themselves up/attempting to walk by 18 months then you're meant to seek help. However, ds didn't crawl until 11 months so we left him to get on with it! He's now 3 and you wouldn't know he was late walking.

clary Tue 05-Aug-14 00:59:47

The average age for walking is 15 mo so your DS is doing fine. smile

Just let him get there - he will go for it when ready but if he is cruising he is well on the way.

StrawberryGashes Tue 05-Aug-14 01:15:07

If they're not walking by 2 yrs then start to worry. Ds walked at 15 months, dd is 14 months now and nowhere near walking. Dsd will never walk and her doctors didn't even begin to take it seriously until after her 2nd birthday.

KEGirlOnFire Tue 05-Aug-14 09:43:40

DD sat at 6 months, crawled at 12 months and walked just before 18 months. I would say though that DD (now 5 YO) is slightly behind other girls of her age. She can't hop (very well), can't balance on one foot and can't skip. She's also the slowest at running but that could be because she's very small for her age (0.4th centile) so her legs are a lot shorter.

Having said all that, DD reads like an 8 year old and was doing puzzles at 6 months.

They're all different smile.

Kel2013 Tue 05-Aug-14 12:16:57

Thanks so much for all the reply's folks. This has really reassured me and I think I will just let him go at his own pace now. Its so hard not to compare kids as all the 1 year olds at my LO toddler groups are all walking. Think i just need to chill out a little bit smile

Eva50 Tue 05-Aug-14 13:05:30

Ds1 walked at 10 months, ds2 at 17 months and ds3 at 16 months. Ds1 is the one with a dyspraxia diagnosis! My neighbours son didn't walk until after his second birthday. He was a very, ummm, substantial baby which my have had something to do with it. He grew to a sporty, skinny lad.

naty1 Tue 05-Aug-14 17:35:15

12-13m (but was cruising from 8m just wouldnt let go)
A lot seemed to cruise for about 3-4m

Holidayfun Tue 05-Aug-14 17:37:38

I was expecting to click on this thread and it be about a 22/23 year old. Not walking at 13 mths is well within the normal range, particularly as he is standing and walking with furniture as an aid.

CulturalBear Fri 08-Aug-14 12:14:05

I am in a very similar position to you OP! Not helped by blummin Prince George 'walking' and my DS being the last of the 4 babies born within 10 days of each other at nursery to get going.

But, in our case he was crawling at 8 months (after 2months of commando crawling), and pulling up and cruising at about the same time. He toddles around the furniture, occasionally taking a 'free' step here and there, but doesn't have the braves to go for it.

He also knows that he's an awesome crawler (I literally can't keep up with him - I tried, yesterday!) so he has much less of an incentive. We've stopped worrying - he's well on his way and will get there soon, as I'm sure yours will too!

nowitscleanugobshite Fri 08-Aug-14 12:20:25

DD was 11 months and is now quite good at sport. DS was 15 months and at representative level!

Albertatata Fri 08-Aug-14 15:40:27

My friends son didn't walk until 22months

Hersetta427 Fri 08-Aug-14 23:49:18

Dd was distinctly average at 14 months. Ds didn't even weight bare until 20 months and waled at 22 months. We took him to be checked out at 18 months...they had he was fine....but lazy!

My DD walked on her first birthday. My DS is now nearly 17 months and still not there. I'm not worried. They get there in their own time!

Carrie5608 Fri 08-Aug-14 23:55:30

Both Ds walked af 18 months (ish) both Dd about 12 months.

NeverTalksToStrangers Sat 09-Aug-14 00:01:06

My ds1 walked at 16 months or so. Wasn't worried though as he was a very good crawler and had crawled early. Didn't need to walk and didn't want to. He was like a speed demon on all fours. Once he started do walk he was fine.

If not walking at 18 months though speak to someone just in case.

StormyBrid Sat 09-Aug-14 00:08:58

I wouldn't say he's a late developer, he's just not an early walker. I've read a lot of threads about age when learning to walk over the past few months. 14 months seems like the average for starting to walk, with a "normal" range from twelve to eighteen months. So don't go worrying just yet. And anecdotally, of my postnatal group on here, the last has just started walking at 17 months; the others mostly fell in the 13-15 month range. In short: it's too early to worry!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now