21 month old DS terrified of shoes!!!

(7 Posts)
Teatimecakes Sun 03-Aug-14 18:13:58

Started with wellies in the spring - screamed the house down even if wellies were near him. Now this has escalated to all shoes. Getting out of the door is a nightmare - getting shoes on is a utter mission. Major distraction (peppa pig) or favourite toys are needed to get started, I'm firm with him and insist that the shoes are going on. A major tantrum ensues every time - help!

lljkk Mon 04-Aug-14 11:27:06

Chocolate buttons as a reward for each shoe?

they forget about the buttons after a while, I find, when shoes become ordinary.

You're sure they fit well and all that?

MrsLettuce Mon 04-Aug-14 11:30:23

TBH I'd just not put shoes on him for a good while.

See if you can find shoe shaped sweets and toys to try and help him get past his fear.

Teatimecakes Mon 04-Aug-14 11:35:37

Yep - have been to clarkes several times to get checked and double checked in case of sudden growth. All fine there.
I'm hoping it's just a fad that will pass soon

MrsLettuce Mon 04-Aug-14 11:37:22

Have you tried telling him he's not allowed shoes? It sounds to me like a genuine fear rather than a toddler power game though, TBH.

Artandco Mon 04-Aug-14 11:42:45

I would just leave without shoes for a while. Use a pram or sling and bare feet fine atm in summer on grass.

In a month of so try again. Try softer shoes like shoo shoos or slippers first and progress up.

Teatimecakes Tue 05-Aug-14 03:33:04

Thanks for your replies - we've had a couple of days chilling at home, playing in the garden in bare feet. I was starting to think it had become a genuine fear too until a good friends of mine was over yesterday, I told her about the shoe issue so she tried to put his shoes on while I was in the kitchen - they went on with no fuss whatsoever!! And he even came running to find me saying "look mummy! Shoes!"
So maybe it's more of a 'drama for mummy issue'? Spoke to his nursery too and they've had no problems with shoes going on and off sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now