your best snacks on the go recipes

(10 Posts)
milkyman Tue 29-Jul-14 13:33:52

Bored of rice cakes and raisins!

slightlyconfused85 Tue 29-Jul-14 13:45:58

cucumber sticks, crackers, cheese, other dried fruits, malt loaf?

Thurlow Tue 29-Jul-14 13:49:28

Cucumber or carrot sticks and malt loaf here too. Dates go down surprisingly well, I find, and bananas, of course. Oatcakes are my go too, especially now Nairns have started selling them in different flavoured travel packs.

LissieD Tue 29-Jul-14 16:08:58

Dried apple, muesli bars, dry breakfast cereal, apple chopped up, peanut butter on crackers, frozen peas and sweetcorn, strawberries, blueberries etc, courgette sticks, cold pasta, tortilla wraps torn up.

minipie Tue 29-Jul-14 16:36:29

<marking place>

great ideas here, I am going to steal loads of these

I'll add

halved grapes
breadsticks

dancemom Tue 29-Jul-14 16:41:46

Dried apricots or cranberries

MrsWinnibago Wed 30-Jul-14 12:33:41

Never use snacks. If we're out at mealtime then we take a packed lunch. If not then we eat in a cafe.

MiaowTheCat Wed 30-Jul-14 12:41:07

I'll give you the brilliant suggestion from one of our community nutritionists that she mooted when giving a talk on good snacks for toddlers in the local children's centre. Most of the parents had the decency to look on attentively, unlike me, who just openly laughed at the ridiculous woman...

"So, what I suggest as the ideal snack for out and about with toddlers is that, just when you're finding your shoes and things ready to go out, you pop a potato on to boil and then pop it in a little tuppaware pot before you leave and then it'll be nice and cool and ready for an ideal toddler size snack when they're hungry"

I don't tend to use snacks much - if they're lucky they might get me remembering to chuck an emergency banana or two in my bag (and then find its remains weeks later festering at the bottom of it).

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 31-Jul-14 12:30:49

These are great and will freeze or keep in an airtight container for a few days.

Those little individually wrapped cheeses are good too smile

ColdCottage Thu 31-Jul-14 13:41:48

I like to make my own mix of almonds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, pecan nuts and peanuts. I then take a little pot out with me. Use the unsalted version for little people.

I also like celery sticks, cherry tomatoes, apricots and prunes.

I keep an emergency 6 pack of crisps and pack of juice boxes and water in the boot of the car. Once got stuck in traffic for 3h so like to be prepared.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now