ADHD? Autism? Sensory Processing Disorder?

(6 Posts)
B00t5 Sun 27-Jul-14 19:25:15

Evening all, a stressed Mumma here!

My son is 22 months and I feel we have some issues. I've always felt that something wasn't quite right but he's my first and I'm always told 'that's just boys! It's normal!' But I can't cope, it doesn't FEEL normal. I guess I'm after some advice here, reassurance maybe, can anyone identify or am I really just clueless?

Where to start... The main problem is the need for constant motion. He runs full speed, always, often on tippy toes. No fear, won't listen when called or warned of danger no matter what the tone/volume, it's often like nobody else exists. In his buggy he's ok as long as we're moving at a quick pace, the second I stop he screams the place down, cries, kicks. It's almost like it pains him to be still. If we're out and about I fear letting him loose because I literally can't keep up with him and he will be straight into the nearest road. He fidgets always, even in his sleep. There are very rare, brief periods where he will sit with me to read a book or watch Thomas (he's obsessed with this atm) but he isn't tactile and won't do cuddles. Even watching Thomas he is usually in motion.

His speech seems to be going backwards. We had Mum Dad go juice car, the usual. Now he seems to have a few key phrases that he repeats, but other than that isn't interested. If we try and encourage him to speak he gets very distressed. He makes eye contact and involves me in play and takes an interest in other children, getting right in their face to say "Hi!" And trying to initiate a game of chase or ball, so I'm doubting autism.

He still babbles the occasional nonsense and loves a good shout, but I presume that to be normal for a toddler. It's mostly the distress he feels from not running and climbing and jumping that is the problem and I'm so scared he will get hurt, he is covered in cuts and bruises from our garden- I keep him as safe as I can but I honestly can't keep up with him.

He is also a really fussy eater but again, I'm guessing part and parcel of being a toddler.

I'm exhausted, worried and it has reached the stage where I'm in tears at the thought of having to leave the house with him and to top it off I'm now pregnant with my second which is amazing news but I'm terrified of how I'll manage!

I'm thinking it's time to approach the GP but I wondered if anyone can identify? Will they just shoo me away?

Appreciate any comments, many thanks for reading x

MultipleMama Sun 27-Jul-14 23:02:56

I would go to the GP and discuss it with them.

My 9mo has SPD (currently in therapy) and he does most of what you describe mainly the fast motion. I'd write a list but it's very long. I'm still very new at it and feel slightly guilty that it was his cardiologist that picked up on it and not me.

If you look up SPD online it gives you a checklist type thing, you could do that and do a little research on the others then you are armed with info when you visit the GP. (SPD isn't widely known/diagnosed.)

Sorry I'm not any help. Hopefully someone will come along with more information, advice.

Feel free to pm me if you want to ask any questions on spd and I'll try and answer from my limited experience with ds xx

turbonerd Sun 27-Jul-14 23:16:38

Contact gp and health visitor. Do talk about speech going backwards. I Don't know about diagnosis, my daughter is autistic (awaiting dx) but many of the Points you raise are very extra of your regulær toddler. Got fobbed off with similar sentiments and have indeed been guilty of same in the past. You know your boy, and see his challenges.
Get the ball rolling, the more help you can enlist the better for your child, esp when it comes to education and daily life.

Catherine26 Thu 31-Jul-14 14:59:21

Hey there,

My daughter is four and we have an informal diagnosis or ADHD with autistic traits. I'd write a list of concerns and see your gp. The spectrum is very wide and you get a lot of sociable autistic kids who have no issue with eye contact. My daughter wants to connect but doesnt have the tools that come naturally in other kids. The spectrum can be confusing. Hannah very much wants to be part of the world but struggles with how to do it. Both my autistic daughter and nt daughter are runners and at 5 and 4 can be utter monkeys for not listening whilst running. It could be your boy gets sensory input from the motion and it chills him out. Mine had the same from bouncing. She used to do it on her knees even when she could walk then as she got older she took to jumping off things. Have you room for a trampoline? My nt daughter has a lot of autistic traits and adhd traits but isn't. Some you could attribute to being a boy but if in your gut you feel something is off I'd see a professional. The system can be very unhelpful and time consuming and early intervention if something is wrong is key. I'd also record or take pictures as these can help. I found a lot of autistic traits overlap a lot of toddler behaviour unless very stand out. My daughter's was very evident by about two and then when she went to nursery. Kids don't have to tick all the boxes to have autism despite what professionals suggest. How does your son compare to others his own age? I once read that autism is not so much the presence of abnormal behaviours but the absence of normal behaviours. If I can help do shout. It's very scary when you feel something isn't quite right. Don't be fobbed off. So far our experience has been okay but I know of others who've found it very hard going. You're his mum and you know best. What does your oh think? I would seek advice from the gp. It can take a while to see a paediatrician xx

Trust your instincts.. and don't be fobbed off. If you feel there is a problem.. you are probably right.

My DS2 had problems from a tiny baby... was told that spending hours lining up crayons or with his face pressed to the TV to see the pixels, was normal... along with his lack of speech, total disinterest in toddler life, was fine.. it wasn't.

It took us a long time to get his autism diagnosis, he was labelled 'delayed' because he wasn't antisocial.. he could be left with anyone, he had no fear of strangers and liked touching people ! He is very much an autistic young man now.. still sociable.. he likes to talk his obsessions to anyone! And he's still lining up those crayons at 17....

But he's awesome.. kind, caring, a gentle person just bewildered in our word. But he needed his ASD diagnosis to get the help he will need to support him in life....

fairylightsintheloft Sat 02-Aug-14 23:17:38

What everyone else said. ..get a referral and be persistent. Ds is half way to an asd diagnosis and he is just 5. I'm not a great one for child rearing books but reading one now called the out of sync child. Its all about spd of different types - quite interesting x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now