What's a good age/the right age to face a baby outwards in a buggy?

(21 Posts)
Taler Tue 15-Jul-14 11:09:12

Thanks

ThinkIveBeenHacked Tue 15-Jul-14 11:12:02

Any time you like.

DD was only parent facing in the carrycot and she outgrew that at about four months.

FavaBeanPyramidScheme Tue 15-Jul-14 12:54:31

I've been wondering this too! DS is 8 months and faces inwards. I'm not sure when he'll prefer to go outwards. He seems happy so I'm just going to wait until he tells me so!

TheJourney22 Tue 15-Jul-14 13:13:35

Agreed! They soon let you know .... We tried outwards ... Went apeshit! Back parent facing 7.5mths ok about it.

Artandco Tue 15-Jul-14 13:15:32

Mine never faced out as I preferred parent facing and both hated it anyway. I think living in London they found it too stimulating as so many people/ traffic, whereas parent I could pull hood down and block stuff out and try would just see me

rallytog1 Tue 15-Jul-14 16:03:36

We turned our dd round at the zoo as a trial when she was 8mo. She spent the whole trip laughing manically at all the things she could now see, and refused to go rear facing again after that!

I kept DS rearfacing until about 3 so we could chat, but each to their own.

SpiffingGalore Tue 15-Jul-14 16:13:58

Ds is 2.3 and still faces me most of the time. We like to chat as we walk and that's much harder when you can't see each other!

Vikkijayne2507 Tue 15-Jul-14 16:14:35

hmm this surprises me I assumed most babies would like to look out. im almost at 4 months still in carrycot but I like to see him and chat

Thurlow Tue 15-Jul-14 16:15:22

Whenever you want. DD went forward facing at 3 months. Loved it.

Clutterbugsmum Tue 15-Jul-14 16:29:33

When they spent all their time looking around the hood to see where they were going.

I just carried on talking to them even though they were facing forward.

Icedfinger Tue 15-Jul-14 19:28:49

Mine is 13m and we swap about. If we're somewhere busy or there's lots to look at she faces out. If she's tired or grumpy she faces us.

patchesmcp Wed 16-Jul-14 19:27:05

We stopped using a pushchair at 18 months but until then DS was always facing me. I never gave him the option to face out as I liked to interact with him, and he never complained so I presume he was happy.

DD is 14 months and she is also parent facing and currently not complaining so she'll stay that way too.

I don't quite understand what difference it makes as surely they get to see as much, just a different view on it confused

ikeaismylocal Wed 16-Jul-14 19:55:11

18 month old ds still mostly faces me, eye contact is such an important part of toddler communication, I do chat to him even when he's facing forwards but I have no idea what he's looking at so I'm just babbling about random stuff.

MiaowTheCat Thu 17-Jul-14 08:01:35

DD1 parent faced until about 1 year when necessity meant we had to swap to a double buggy... DD2 forward faced from birth because of the aforementioned double buggy. I blehtered on endlessly to both of them - DD1 is very very advanced with her language (translation: doesn't shut up and you wonder where the hell she's got some of the vocabulary she comes out with from!) and DD2 is looking like being quite an early talker as well.

I used to fairly regularly nip around to the front of the buggy to make eye contact, check they were ok and whatever, or I'd half walk along the side of the pushchair with them a lot of the time anyway.

ShineSmile Thu 17-Jul-14 09:55:58

I think we switched around 9 months and DD loved it.

ThirteenMeetings Fri 18-Jul-14 16:36:23

We have a pram that does either so we mix it up. If she's tired or clingy we do rear facing, if she's full of beans she faces out. Been doing this since about 6 months

Lepaskilf Sat 19-Jul-14 19:49:45

We've only ever had a forward facing pram, so no choice here.

BocaDeTrucha Sun 20-Jul-14 11:40:35

We have both types of pram and ds is 10 months and I always prefer parent-facing. Forward facing feels too cut off from me and isolated in my opinion. He still gets to see lots of the world facing backwards and I like the interaction with me.

WhizzPopBang Sun 20-Jul-14 20:14:02

Had to swap to a forward facing pushchair at 5 months so had no choice - DD was tiny with her little legs sticking out over the edge of the seat but no complaints facing forwards. I think it's better now she can't see me because she whinges as soon as she spots me and wriggles for me to get her out...

Mumof3xox Sun 20-Jul-14 20:16:56

Dd 15 months

Parent facing because she can get out of the harness so I don't trust her the other way!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now