Drawing people

(9 Posts)
gutted2014 Fri 11-Jul-14 18:25:05

DS2, aged 3.3, has just come home with a nursery folder full of artwork & in it is a picture of a person. I had no idea he could draw people shock It is a small circle for the head, a bigger circle for the body & some lines coming out of the body. There are also squiggles at the end of the lines which may or may not represent hands & feet. There are no facial features.

I am very proud of him & very shock as he has always been delayed in most areas, to the extent that we are seeing a paediatrician in a couple of weeks to find out if it is ASD, and until now he has only drawn scribbles & circles smile

What age did other DC start drawing people? Am rather curious to know where he is on the timeline with this one smile

Parietal Fri 11-Jul-14 18:31:05

Similar to mine of same age. My older dd didn't draw anything til much later.

IWillOnlyEatBeans Fri 11-Jul-14 18:38:56

My DS was drawing 'people' (heads, face, arms and legs) when he started preschool at 3.2. He still draws heads with faces, arms and legs now, at 4.5! Although he does sometimes add hair, ears, a hat etc if encouraged to do so.

Every day without fail, he comes out of nursery with a drawing of me (head, face, arms and legs) standing next to a heart. It's very sweet smile

coppertop Fri 11-Jul-14 18:43:09

The youngest age was 2yrs old (ASD and very good at art).

The oldest was 6yrs old (ASD and poor fine motor skills).

My other two were 3yrs old and 4yrs old, so quite a wide range really.

findingherfeet Fri 11-Jul-14 21:11:08

My little girl drew a very definite person for the first time yesterday, it had ears but no mouth, Stick legs and one arm but still! It's lovely when they do something new... My girl is nearly 3.

adrianna22 Fri 11-Jul-14 22:44:41

DS was drawing people when he was over 2 and a half.

MiaSparrow Sun 13-Jul-14 16:03:43

At 2.10 DD drew a very detailed picture of her, me and DP in the woods with green trees, a white cloud with blue rain coming out of it and a yellow sun with rays. All three of us had a head, hair, body, four limbs and facial features - and me and her (the girls) with eyelashes (!)

This was up in her room on her chalkboard and totally unprompted and unaided. I remember at the time being completely shocked and I took a picture of it to send to DP saying I don't think this is normal!

I do worry a little bit about ASD as we have it in the family (both sides), but she doesn't seem to have any other traits thus far.

Toastmonster Sun 13-Jul-14 18:10:27

My DS 3.9 has no interest in drawing or colouring. He can manage a squiggle at best if he sees me writing a birthday card or similar. He just throws the pencils when I put them out and I worry about this, I'd be delighted at any artwork!

whitepuddingsupper Sun 13-Jul-14 23:00:14

My 3 1/2 year old can draw people with head, body, limbs, eyes, mouth and hair. No hands/feet yet though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now