3 year old needs more puzzles

(15 Posts)
Changeitplease Fri 11-Jul-14 10:37:45

I need ideas for puzzle, learning and development games, etc for my three year old. At the moment outside of nursery they spend a lot of time on TV. I need some ideas where they can play and entertain themselves and learn with some help from me. I work long hours so anything where they can independently play would be great. Thanks!

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 11-Jul-14 11:32:37

When you're three pretty much everything is an opportunity for learning and development.

Turn the tv off. Leave them to play.

Make a den out of sheets, let their imagination takeover with a range of cardboard boxes, blow bubbles, chalk on the pavement, paper and pens for drawing, small world toys, dressing up etc. Pretty much anything really!

Don't expect long periods of independent play at 3.

How about vtech phonics bus and floor puzzles. Cardboard boxes are a great suggestion - the bigger the better.

combust22 Fri 11-Jul-14 13:07:58

If you work long hours and apart from your kids don't you want games or activities you and your children can do together?
They will probably love your company after a long time apart.

IWillOnlyEatBeans Fri 11-Jul-14 18:45:33

At 3, my DS loved:
Play doh
Crayola Colour Wonder sets
Pouring water from one thing into another (washing up bowl and jugs) - gathering things from round the house to see which things float and which things sink.
Simple jigaws (Thomas, Octonauts etc)
Tozzle and Zoo train (iPad apps)
Building train tracks (we have a massive box of wooden track pieces, he could get very creative with it)
Playing endless games of cars, on his car mat.

IWillOnlyEatBeans Fri 11-Jul-14 18:47:40

Oh, and this:

www.amazon.co.uk/Orchard-Toys-Giant-Road-Jigsaw/dp/B005IX6ZOY

You can put it together about a million different ways and play with toy cars/people etc on it.

Sirzy Fri 11-Jul-14 18:48:06

What about things like peppa pig play sets, or happy land?

eltsihT Fri 11-Jul-14 18:50:08

My boys have been playing with this box with holes cut in it. They have been swing what toys fall in and then had to work out how to get them out, it kept them busy for about 2 hours (not all at the same time) today

eltsihT Fri 11-Jul-14 18:50:40

Seeing not swing.

IWillOnlyEatBeans Fri 11-Jul-14 18:55:47

Also, duplo and marble runs are good. You can help set them up and start them off, then dip in and out while you get on with other stuff.

The build a car duplo set was a firm favourite.

Toastmonster Fri 11-Jul-14 18:57:16

My DS 3 loves his marble run from ELC - has learnt over time to put it together and it comes out everyday!

chocomochi Fri 11-Jul-14 19:06:06

For games you can play together, try Orchard Game games.

Like others have said, simple things like pens and paper, empty boxes for modelling, tin foil, just everyday household items will keep them entertained.

Lovelydiscusfish Fri 11-Jul-14 22:42:41

For independent play, things Iike the Happyland sets, Peppa play sets etc are great. Also something like a kitchen etc, for imaginative play?
For playing with them, I recently found out (on here) about Orchard Games, which I would highly recommend.

erin99 Fri 11-Jul-14 23:14:20

Just Stuff. Galt do Stuff - cotton reels, play buttons, octogons, or use wooden tiles, blocks, jenga pieces, pine cones, stones. Add lots of boxes and bags. Mine did a lot of imaginative play with really open ended stuff like this, once I'd started them off and shown them how.

If you want actual puzzles, charity shops are a good source.

Also pretend cooking with flour, lentils etc and lots of pots and spoons. Keeps them occupied for ages but does make a lot of mess!

Changeitplease Sat 12-Jul-14 02:02:15

Thank you all!!! You guys are fab smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now