is his breathing normal?

(5 Posts)
donefornow Thu 10-Jul-14 22:02:36

When Ds (13 months) is sleeping he takes sharp quick intakes of breath (almost like a newborn with wind) it seems to be while he's dreaming as sometimes he will babble a little or let out a little cry.
His breathing doesn't seem obstructed at all and no snoring. It will be normal and then he will take a few very short sharp breaths in, it never usually lasts ling and once he's settled his breathing if very calm and normal.
The only way I can explain it is, if you have ever had a toddler fall asleep after a really good cry and they kind of hiccup air in for a while until the calm into their sleep. Sorry I'm not very good at describing it!

donefornow Thu 10-Jul-14 22:34:02

Completely normal mow, lasted about 10 mins... Could it just be REM sleep?
Heart rate is fine..

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 11-Jul-14 11:57:54

Not sure on that one sorry. How often does he do it?

donefornow Fri 11-Jul-14 20:14:55

Most nights for a little bit usually. I assumed it was wind when he was a baby, but now that he's over 1 it's obviously something else...

ilovetosleep Sat 12-Jul-14 21:31:22

My DS used to do this until he was about 18mo, I guess. Never figured out why and it did used to worry me by he's grown out of it. Dreaming I suppose. I used to go in as lay a hand on his chest to calm him a bit although he never seemed distressed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now