14 month old biting and hitting

(5 Posts)
ShineSmile Wed 09-Jul-14 15:22:26

14 month old DD has been deliberately biting and hitting me, usually when she wants something or wants attention.

She understands alot more now, so how do I deal with this? I've been trying to move away from her when she does this but it doesn't make a difference, I also firmly say no, that really hurts and show a disappointed face.

What else can I do? She's going to start nursery soon and I'm really worried she is going to bite and hit others. She has never seen anyone bite or hit others so I don't understand where she has got it from! hmm

KnackeredMuchly Wed 09-Jul-14 15:48:04

My son does it only to me, other people think it's funny when they get a whack in the face so we're teaching wveryone to say no.

Now I'm saying a sharp no, grabbing his hands and putting him on the floor away from me.

nomdemere Wed 09-Jul-14 15:52:44

My DD did this at that kind of age, maybe a few months older. Her older siblings had never done it so I was nonplussed.

Each time, I said a firm (but not shouty) "No', and moved away from her. I didn't get emotional about it (i.e. not looking like I was going to cry or making a big fuss, just matter-of-fact). I think that sort of reaction just encourages it because they are intrigued by getting a reaction IYSWIM.

It went on for quite a while, and I had to supervise her with other DC - if she was getting cross or overexcited, I stepped in before she could bite.

She's 3 now and doesn't do it any more.

ShineSmile Thu 10-Jul-14 08:50:24

Thank you. Looks like it's more common than I thought.

nomdemere Thu 10-Jul-14 10:04:39

Very common, I think Shine. At this age, I think calm, consistent discouragement, and supervision around potential victims is all you can do - and is likely to be enough to stop the behaviour in time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now