Ideas please for a toy that's like a dummy

(10 Posts)
gizmosmama Wed 09-Jul-14 14:26:06

I'm looking to phase out my LO's dummy. Although he does sometimes use it (mostly to go to sleep but sometimes at other times), he usually plays with it instead. He chews the strap, teeths on the plasticky bits, plays with it in his fingers - pincer grips and passes from hand to hand etc. he really seems to like messing around with it and it's good to occupy him e.g. In the car seat but I'd like to get rid of the dummy aspect. I've tried other toys but nothing works the same. Does anyone have any ideas for a toy / other dummy alternative, that's just like a dummy e.g. I can attach to a strap and clip on, that's small and fiddly and different bits to chew etc? I know the obvious answer would be a teether but I can't find one that's small and fiddly like a dummy. DS is 5mo in case that's helpful.

KnackeredMuchly Wed 09-Jul-14 15:49:00

Razberry teether. Effectively a dummy but no soothing action if you suck.

ShineSmile Wed 09-Jul-14 16:23:51

There's this thing which is for teething. I don't know how to describe it but its like a half moon shape. It can go in the mouth and its for soothing gums.

You could try Sophie the giraffe too.

NorahBone Wed 09-Jul-14 22:15:20

I think the thing shinesmile describes is by Tommee Tippee.

NorahBone Wed 09-Jul-14 22:19:53

What about Icybites keys teether? It has several different textures and babies like the ring holder part.

Pending Thu 10-Jul-14 00:13:13

You could just cut the teat off a dummy, leaving all the other bits intact for him to play with.

ElephantsNeverForgive Thu 10-Jul-14 00:35:21

DD1 had a cheap animal heads teething ring that went every where. The important thing seems to be that it's light to rattle and fiddle with and has something that you can get to your back teeth. In this case a rabbits ears.

A lot of baby toys seem to forget that babies are little. Anything too heavy or too chunky gets ignored.

Lucked Thu 10-Jul-14 00:42:51

Mam teethers and tommy tippee gummy teethers.

TwoMs Thu 10-Jul-14 08:58:38
gizmosmama Fri 11-Jul-14 08:34:51

Thanks everyone, I think I'm going to try a Mam Teether. ElephantsNeverForgive, I couldn't agree more. Of all his toys, DS prefers his dummy on a strap because it's small, light, fiddly, easy to manipulate and because of the strap he can always grab it. Come on toy makers!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now