Scared of slides

(7 Posts)
farmerswifey Wed 09-Jul-14 13:08:52

My little lady is almost two and until last week she loved sliding at soft play. She would happily climb up to the big slides and whizz down all by herself. However, last week the slides had been polished and we're a little too slippy. My little girl fell backwards hurting her face and from then on, would only go down sat on my knee.

Today when we went there again, my little one wouldn't go on at all and kept repeating 'No slides Mummy - Nooooo' She went on a couple of times sat on my knee but refused to go down alone.

How do I rebuild her confidence or do we just avoid the place for a while? She really loved the place until this happened.

Housemum Wed 09-Jul-14 13:35:38

I think I'd just let it lie for a while, perhaps go to different places with slides but don't even suggest she goes on them. If you go to the same place don't mention the slides, if she says "no slides" just reply " ok no slides" but try not to give it any attention. As she gets older and starts playing with other kids more she'll probably follow them on the slides one day.
Don't try to force the issue as she might start to think there is something to be scared of if you see what I mean

gutted2014 Wed 09-Jul-14 14:42:00

Could you get her to do other things with slides - eg send dolly/teddy/a ball down a slide? Or you go down a slide at the park if there's one big enough for adults, or an older sibling/cousin/friend if not? Then she may view them as fun things again.

ElephantsNeverForgive Wed 09-Jul-14 14:46:44

Slightly older friends are always good if they are kind and sensible.

DCs are much more likely to do things they see DCs their own kind of size doing, than listen to Mother.

MiaowTheCat Wed 09-Jul-14 16:14:03

Just leave it a while - let her go to them off her own bat instead of forcing the issue... DD1 wouldn't touch them at all until a month ago really - was just letting her make the acquaintance of the little slide in the garden of her own initiative that was the real breakthrough (and slightly less backbreaking than constantly lifting her up onto them). Now you can't get her OFF the buggers!

Lepaskilf Wed 09-Jul-14 20:19:41

I'd leave it. My son had a similar experience, again they cleaned the slides! He flew down on his belly and got a friction burn on his chin!... The was when he was 3. He's 5 in a couple of months and has only just started going down slides again.... mainly because his friends were doing it!

It's only a slide, no big deal if they never go on one again x

Lovelydiscusfish Wed 09-Jul-14 21:54:54

My dd (2.3) goes through phases like this with all play equipment. She loves playgrounds, but there is usually only one piece of play equipment she is actually willing to go on during any one visit. It worried me at first, but I've decided not to push it. In many ways I think it is actually quite sensible to be wary of doing something which has frightened or hurt you previously!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now