DD needs a silver crown and I feel so ashamed!

(14 Posts)
MysticIndia Mon 16-Jun-14 21:02:54

does anyone know if there are alternatives to the sterling silver crowns that are placed over baby teeth? the thought of seeing a piece of metal in her mouth is enough to cause a divorce in my house. I've heard of zirconia crowns which ate white but can these be done in the UK on primary teeth?

LiberalLibertine Tue 17-Jun-14 08:50:03

Hi, sorry I don't know, can you Google

NCISaddict Tue 17-Jun-14 09:00:49

I felt the same when DS had to have two crowns at aged 6, I thought it was something I'd done. It turned out to be a combination of naturally weak enamel and a love of eating apples!
I got used to the crowns really quickly (they were in the lower jaw) and his second teeth are absolutely fine.

MysticIndia Tue 17-Jun-14 11:11:33

Thanks NCISaddict, good to hear I'm not alone, what age did your sons crowned teeth fall out at? I've tried googling alternatives, and the US do the ceramic cap on children, but can't find anywhere in UK that do it, not even privately, though I expect that would be costly.

jeee Tue 17-Jun-14 11:13:50

Why would the sight of a necessary piece of metal in your DD's mouth cause a divorce? Really, the tooth will fall out soon enough.... I must be missing something, but I just can't see why this is such a big issue.

MysticIndia Tue 17-Jun-14 11:23:37

Thanks NCISaddict, good to hear I'm not alone, what age did your sons crowned teeth fall out at? Liberal Libertine, I've tried googling alternatives, and the US do the ceramic cap on children, but can't find anywhere in UK that do it, not even privately, though I expect that would be costly. The zirconia ones look great, just a shame that I cant find them in London.

NCISaddict Tue 17-Jun-14 19:45:04

I really can't remember when they fell out, I think it was the normal time for those teeth, I really didn't notice them after a few days. Which teeth do they want to crown, if they aren't front ones you really don't notice.

papooser Thu 19-Jun-14 11:39:25

If it makes you feel better, my DS (8) has five silver crowns (all on back teeth) - caused by soft enamel (dentist said it probably hadn't formed properly in his first year due to infection/illness). I hated them at first but have got used to them and don't notice them at all now. Actually I know a lot of people whose DC have them. I felt really responsible but the dentist said it was just bad luck and due to apple and meat getting stuck in the teeth, rather than sweets etc.
Interestingly my DS is a twin and his brother has exactly the same problem with soft enamel but his teeth aren't so close together so it's not an issue and he doesn't need crowns.
Not sure about alternatives but just wanted to let you know you're not alone!

Racheyg Thu 19-Jun-14 20:34:31

I work in a dental practice and have some experience in this. The reason for the silver crowns is generally because the cavity in the tooth is to large and the tooth does not have enough retention to keep it in.

This is the best option to restore the tooth otherwise it will get worse and could result in a extraction. Some pediatric dental practice may do a white composite version but they do not work as well. And the zirconia crowns are for adult teeth.

Dont blame yourself these things happen. xx

calmseeker Thu 19-Jun-14 22:56:18

I can empathize completely. My son had three holes in his teeth when I took him to the dentist. He is four. I was so shocked and felt as if I had let him down. I am the one responsible for his diet and tooth brushing. I had been a little lax about supervising tooth brushing and his diet probably contained a few too many (not a lot) sweets. All I can do now is use it as a wake up call. Now I supervise good tooth brushing twice daily and sweets have been reduced considerably particularly between meals. Your situation however sounds as if it may not be due to lax tooth brushing and sweets.

mrsbrownsgirls Thu 19-Jun-14 23:57:25

I'm a dentist. go with the silver crown. they are fab! and google Hall technique

MysticIndia Mon 30-Jun-14 23:43:58

Thanks sooo much papooser and calm seeker. I don't feel so bad now, Thanks for sharing your stories, I appreciate that. however I've since researched and found a place in Richmond that do ceramic white crowns for children and also replace silver hall crowns (sorry Mrs browns girls, whilst I understand the brilliancy of the hall technique, they're not great aesthetically and she's got another 6 years to go with it). though it will cost 250 for one of these white ones. crazy money, I know, but I think she will appreciate it as she gets older as it will be visible every time she smiles.

differentnameforthis Mon 30-Jun-14 23:46:39

White crowns will only be done privately & will cost quite a bit, and I have never heard of a dentists doing them on children. It isn't worth doing them on baby teeth as eventually the tooth will be lost.

MultipleMama Tue 01-Jul-14 19:47:27

I don't think your dd will find it an issue as long as you don't make it one - which, in this case, you are.

It's a crown which will eventually fall out when the tooth does. £250 is a lot of money for one white crown on a baby tooth.

Silver is better than white, benefit wise as poster above said. What's more important, the best choice of treatment which is a silver crown or your cosmetic view?

Not trying to be harsh, but I just don't see why you're making a big deal of it...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now