Alternative to "thank you for having me"

(9 Posts)
Isabelleforyourbicycle Sun 15-Jun-14 21:41:56

My DD is now spending more time at other peoples houses and I want to encourage her to thank them nicely when she leaves, however, I hate that " thank you for having me" phrase. I can't explain why, it just annoys me.

Does anyone have or use any good alternative suggestions? Needs to be succinct, she's only 4.

twosmallbuttons Sun 15-Jun-14 21:45:11

Thank you for inviting me ?

Holidayfun Sun 15-Jun-14 21:45:49

Thank you for a lovely afternoon.
Thank you, I really had fun today.
Thank you, I'm looking forward to seeing you soon.
Thank you for letting me come to play.
Or just remind her to thank the host and see if she wants to add anymore herself.

BobTheFly Sun 15-Jun-14 21:46:02

I've had a lovely time, thank you.

SueDNim Sun 15-Jun-14 21:48:54

Would "I've had a lovely time, thank you" work?

TBH I'm not sure that "Thank you for having me" is avoidable. My DD is 3 and seems to have picked it up, not from us. She uses it all the time, even in shops.

pasbeaucoupdegendarme Sun 15-Jun-14 21:49:13

I think it's in "My Naughty Little Sister" that the girl says "I've been very nicely had". smile

educationrocks1 Sun 15-Jun-14 21:51:41

Well quite! 'thank you for having me'! the little boy next door left not too long ago this is the 3rd day running of him ringing for ds to play. Today he came round 3 times and rang at least 5 times each time, having told him we are rather busy, built ds will come when he is free. Eventually he did come in and play and enjoyed himself, i on the other hand would have preferred a quiet Sunday nap.

When he was leaving he said 'thank you for having me'!, i was partly annoyed, partly touched, I didn't actually want him round, but he persisted and I was pleased he had a good time.

Frontier Sun 15-Jun-14 22:00:19

Mine (and their friends) just say thank you as they're leaving.

Holiday's are far better though

Isabelleforyourbicycle Sun 15-Jun-14 22:38:13

Thank you all, I feel a bit silly now for not having had more imagination on the subject!

I think I'll work on 'I've had a lovely time, thank you" and she can embellish as she gets older or to suit the occasion.

Thank for you all for having me on this thread wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now