How can I help my dd1 being dry at night?

(6 Posts)
littleraysofsunshine Thu 12-Jun-14 18:02:11

She was dry for about two months last august, then went backwards and ever since she's usually wet about half amount of the week if not more.

what age is she?

littleraysofsunshine Thu 12-Jun-14 20:48:56

3yr 7m

storm4mozza Sat 14-Jun-14 07:18:36

My son is the same age, even though he is potty trained , sometimes he is too tired to realize he needs a wee, so before bed my husband or myself will hold him over the bedroom potty before we go to bed and then empty the potty afterwards.

We found giving him his last drink an hour before bed time helps (obviously easier said than done when its so hot, maybe half an hour before bed until it cools down?)

We also have mattress protecters on the bed.
Hope this helps

She's still very young for night time dryness. Being dry all night involves being physically ready and producing the correct hormone, it's not something you can teach like daytime dryness. Dd1 has only had dry nights in the last 6 months at age 6, and that's with medication from enuresis clinic. My GP referred her at 5.5 but even that was considered young for a referral. Other advice they've given us is to make sure she's drinking lots of water (not fizzy drinks) through the day and 2 wees before bed (so wee, story, wee for example).

odyssey2001 Sat 14-Jun-14 09:03:35

You can't help. It is biological. They either can or can't stay dry, there is nothing you can do. Their body needs to start producing vasopressin which suppresses urine production at night.

Once they are biologically capable of staying dry you can help by giving them lots to drink in the morning to stretch their bladder and limit fluids before bed. People say at least an hour but we stop two hours beforehand. Also make sure they do a big we before bed.

Children may not start producing vadopressin until up to the age of 8 so it is best to be patient and now push the issue.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now