Vocalising 4 months old

(10 Posts)
pixiestixie84 Fri 06-Jun-14 14:40:51

Hi all, posted here about a month ago about my daughter's speech saying that she went from cooing to screeching but she now isn't making any sounds at all! She smiles, makes eye contact and laughs (and cries obviously!) but that's it!! A cause for concern?
TIA smile

pixiestixie84 Fri 06-Jun-14 15:01:20

I realise that I have written 'speech' in my first message- as she's only 4 months I think speech might be the wrong word!

Lottapianos Fri 06-Jun-14 15:04:59

Keep chatting to her when you are together. Sing nursery rhymes with actions to her. Look at picture books together and talk about what you can see.

She's very little and the fact that she's smiling and making eye contact and laughing sounds good.

Charlotteamanda1 Fri 06-Jun-14 21:10:34

Sounds very normal to me. She is communicating - eye contact, smiling and laughing to get your attention. I bet she bangs her toys and you respond , that's communication too.
This is all the normal building blocks to communicating - speech is only 3% of talking. She's practicing all the other stuff.
You sound a fab mum with all the attention she gets from you.

Taler Fri 06-Jun-14 23:09:39

No real advice but my DD is days away from 7 months and her "speech" is not where I thought it would be at this stage. She makes "goo" type noises sometimes but there aren't really any 'babbles.

Other babies her age seem more 'advanced' with their speech. Not that I'm intentionally comparing though.

I am sure it will come.

pixiestixie84 Mon 09-Jun-14 09:03:48

Thanks all, it's hard not to worry when you're a neurotic first time mum with google!

Mirshid Mon 09-Jun-14 09:06:44

I posted a similar thread last week because my daughter went strangely silent! But this week she has suddenly learnt to sit up and low and behold her voice has returned with gusto! Maybe your daughter is about to learn a new skill too x

pixiestixie84 Mon 09-Jun-14 09:18:49

I must have missed that one! That's a possibility- she's very close to rolling over. How long was your daughter silent for? This has been going on for almost 2 weeks now...

Mirshid Mon 09-Jun-14 13:48:29

It was about 2 and a half to 3 weeks- I was convinced she had some sort of regression and rang HV in a panic only for her to start 'talking' later that day! She is nearly 5 months

pixiestixie84 Mon 09-Jun-14 14:55:40

That sounds like something I would do! Thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now