help! 5 week old in pain...

(5 Posts)
MrsRV Fri 06-Jun-14 05:58:26

morning, my 5 wk old DD seems to be growing increasingly uncomfortable with wind (I think!). I think there may also be a silent reflux issue too!?!

she is currently on aptimil & have been giving her infacol. it's got to the point where she is bringing up no wind at all during/after a feed despite my best attempts!! She's also not pooing as frequently as she should and I seem to have to help her do that each time.

she seems to be most uncomfortable between 7pm & 9pm & prefers to be upright.

she has just started making straining/grunting noises too and her little legs and arms are either thrashing about or she goes really stiff! she's not sicky but sometimes cries during feeds & arches her back. she also sometimes sounds like she's bringing up milk but then quite of chokes/swallows it again.

people have suggested changing brand of milk, colief, comfort milk... I just don't know what to do for the best? DD1 had gaviscon to help with reflux. any help much appreciated!

newnameforanewstart Fri 06-Jun-14 06:28:04

is she BF or FF?

How long do you keep her upright after a feed?

Was it a straight forward delivery? Sometimes we can see pain after a delivery with interventions etc.

If you think she has reflux, I would get her checked out with your HV, GP etc.

Hang it there it will get better.

Stubbed Fri 06-Jun-14 06:28:11

That sounds like reflux. It will get worse before it gets better. You need to see your GP and you need a referral to a paed if they can't help you. My daughter was a different baby with the right meds.

newnameforanewstart Fri 06-Jun-14 06:33:22

Sorry posted to soon

Making Bick peddling motions with her feet and legs might help with the wind and poo issues.

Have you tried turning her over and laying her along your arm with feet and legs dangling to help the wind issue? Is she has reflux this might make it worse but it might help

Can you change the position for a feed? Is she gulping in air when feeding?

Pocket1 Fri 06-Jun-14 22:34:16

Is she particularly screamy after a feed? Does she have poor weight gain? If so please get her checked out for cows milk allergy - my DD suffered for 4 months as numerous GP an hv visits missed this. In the end we saw a private paediatrician who fixed her overnight with special hypo allergenic formula and medicine for her reflux. Your dd may not be suffering with this, but I never want to see anyone suffer as we did so I just wanted to mention this smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now