Age range start ti hold pen 'properly'

(12 Posts)
shabbadab Fri 06-Jun-14 20:36:37

Thanks everyone, really helpful. JiltedJohn, that's exactly what we do, DS loves noticing house numbers all the time on our walks! Toastmonster too - I can totally relate to the car track thing. I guess it's just not in his sphere at the moment. I will try out the fine motor stuff. Thanks again.

Toastmonster Thu 05-Jun-14 18:01:38

My DS 3.8 is exactly the same, no interest at all. If I give him colouring pencils he just empties on the floor or builds a car track with them. I too worry but like everyone said, just different children with different interests

ZuleikaD Thu 05-Jun-14 16:49:34

Yes, work on his fine motor skills doing other activities. It varies massively when they use a pencil grip - I know a 13 month old who does it and a four year old who doesn't.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 05-Jun-14 16:45:57

If he's interested in maths does he like cooking? Mine always like weighing, mixing and licking the bowl of course smile. You could always get him to make some play doh with you.

There are some good activity suggestions for developing fine motor skills here and and here, f you look on youtube there'll be some more.

My DS sounds very much like your DS. He refused to do anything arty at that age but would happily help out with pegging out, cooking etc. We went for walks and talked about the numbers on the doors, types of trees and flowers etc.

Once he got into school and saw that everyone else wanted to write he was writing sentences by half term.

Really don't worry smile

shabbadab Thu 05-Jun-14 16:22:41

Thanks everyone. I guess I am worrying prematurely! Don't get me wrong I don't push him at all - I guess I just wanted to give him the opoortunity if he was ready and wanting to learn (maybe he'll teach himself though). Paln to draw with them sounds good Iggly. Never really done that so will give it a try.
He does play with play dough for a while - makes muddy puddles for his cars!! He is definately more logical sounds like your DS anyboo. Very into contruction, maps, vehciles. I guess it'll come in time.... Thank

Oops to typos in orginal post! blush

amyboo Thu 05-Jun-14 12:28:43

Oh, I forgot to add - DS1 also love Playdoh, as it's more construction-y. Why not try something like that? There are lots of ways to be creative with it - using cutters, building animals, making letters, numbers, etc. And, it washes out of everything :-)

amyboo Thu 05-Jun-14 12:27:06

My DS1 is nearly 4.5 and also has little interest in drawing and colouring. He quite likes painting activities that he does at school and is happy to scribble (rather than colour between the lines).

BUT, he's way better than other kids his age at construction stuff like Lego and Duplo, jigsaws and other "logical" type activitites. He can't read yet, but can do quite decent adding and subtracting.

What I'm trying to say is that all kids are different. I think the most important thing is to encourage them to do things they enjoy.

LizzieMint Thu 05-Jun-14 10:12:18

My son showed no interest whatsoever in writing/colouring/drawing etc until he was at least 4.5. He started school at 5 just about able to hold a pen 'properly' although he always looked so awkward doing it I wondered for a long while if he was actually left handed. He's 7 now and his writing has really taken off and I can't stop him crafting! boys can just be really slow at getting started with it - he'll show an interest when he's ready. My dd on the other hand could hold a pen perfectly before she was 2 - she was writing before her older brother did!

NorthEasterlyGale Thu 05-Jun-14 10:07:44

I bookmarked this linky that is quite interesting.

Iggly Thu 05-Jun-14 08:20:10

Don't show him how to hold a pen. I was told by our preschool that was a bad idea especially for boys.

Everyone has different interests. If he doesn't like crafts then so be it.

We have a small table with paper and pencils which are out all the time. I've got some pencils with three sides instead of rounded making it easier for toddlers to hold. We draw with ds and dd and they try and copy. When they do I say breezily "look how mummy holds the pencil" but don't comment on how they do. They copy for a bit and help me draw. That was what I was told to do by preschool.

Another crafty activity to encourage writing is outdoor painting with big brushes. So get some cheap lining paper, pin loads up on the fence etc and let them have a go (I used old paint brushes, and diluted the paint in water). The kids loved it!

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 04-Jun-14 21:13:31

Seriously you are concerned that your 3yo can't write or hold a pen properly? Pack the stuff away that he's clearly not interested in. The time you have with him before he starts school is too sort for stuff like this smile

Besides, there are loads of activities you can do with him that will improve his fine motor skills.

shabbadab Wed 04-Jun-14 20:36:24

Just wondering what age range is normal for this and if/when what age you should be concerned? My DS is 3.8 years and has always had minimal interest in crafts / drawing. Many children I know of the same age can sort of write their name, will sit and colour etc. We have a first writing type book which he is startng to show a bit of interest in. Will try and hold pen 'properly' when prompted sometimes but can get undestandablt frustrated is I offer to show him and he's not in the mood (don't want to push it too much?). Otherwise holds the pen like he's going to stan someone!! Drawing wise just scribbles. No interest in colouring between lines, signs of drawing people etc. Literacy wise, he knows all his letters and started to show an interest in reading (loves books), do no concerns there. Is it just time thing or should I be concerned / doing anything different?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now