Incredibly clingy DS

(6 Posts)
TallyGrenshall Tue 03-Jun-14 16:59:40

DS is 5

Around a month ago he started clinging to me constantly. At school in the mornings, when I go to work (he is either with DP (who is his dad) or my parents) even if I have a shower. He will not let go of me and has to be peeled off, while he sobs and screams for me sad

He has never been like this before and it's breaking my heart. I've spoken to him to see if anything is wrong or bothering him but he says he just loves me and misses me when I go.

I am bright and breezy when I go, kiss, cuddle and "see you in xxx" but, once again, I have left a snotty mess with DM so I could get to work sad

Is this a common phase? I've checked with his teacher and she says he's fine after a couple of minutes, my Mum says the same but I feel dreadful every day sad

Janeecezollner Tue 03-Jun-14 23:34:53

Don't feel dreadful children his age tend to do this maybe take a day of work and jst having one and one time together he may be missing the bond if your continuously working day in and out or even do this on weekends. He will soon outgrow it and just keep reassuring him that you will see him later, another thing is you can give him an item like a little ball or something and say to him when u miss me just hold on to this tight and think of me you could start this method at home if this is any help

LastingLight Wed 04-Jun-14 09:38:42

If you're sure there is nothing wrong it is probably just a phase. Can you give him something small that belongs to you and ask him to keep this safe for you at school? Ask you to give him something that belongs to him that you can take to work with you, like a teddy? Try bribery - if he let you go without screaming and crying you will give him a small toy when you come back from work. Or a sticker chart? See if you can find a story book about a child with separation anxiety which you can read to him.

TallyGrenshall Thu 05-Jun-14 22:42:23

Thank you for answering.

It all came out this afternoon. A child in his class has told him that his brother is gonna put DS in the ground and he'll never see me again (they're in reception ffs) angry angry

I've reassured him as much as I can, thanked him for telling me and I will speak to his teacher in the morning. I'm so upset that he's been keeping that in for so long and so, so angry.

LastingLight Fri 06-Jun-14 05:23:41

Oh no, poor DS!

redcaryellowcar Fri 06-Jun-14 05:41:29

Poor ds, i was going to say strange to have no expiation but tricky to get one often. I think the idea of some one to one time is a great one. So sorry he has been through this i would be livid with the other little boy, not that you can do much directly, but thik discussing with the teacher is a good plan..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now