Language problem?

(5 Posts)
PleaseJustShootMeNow Mon 02-Jun-14 11:54:58

DS is almost 14 months and doesn't have any words yet, should I be worried? He babbles sometimes but this has only happened over the last couple of months. He's happy and content, but very quiet.

MrsWinnibago Mon 02-Jun-14 12:17:38

It does vary but by this age he "should" be saying a few recognisable word-like sounds. Consonants such as p, b, m, d, or n and perhaps a few basics like Dada or Ball. BUT there is no clear rule for this. Babbling should be reliable...so daily on a regular basis.

Can he follow a simple instruction like "Get me the ball?" and does he understand things like "Here's Daddy!" if Daddy's car pulls up?

Also, have his ears checked out.

meg76uk Mon 02-Jun-14 12:51:42

My son had no words at 18 months and few speech-sounds to his limited babble, turned out he had glue ear on both sides (although he'd never once had an ear infection.) It was left to sort itself and did over time. At 3, he's perfectly normal speech-wise, though not advanced. And he remains pretty quiet, he's just not a big talker and has never been much interested in singing, defying all stereotypes for toddlers.

The HV were useless until he hit 18 months, when he'd missed a milestone and they were all over the referrals! But worth raising with them now and repeatedly as long as you're concerned.

PleaseJustShootMeNow Wed 04-Jun-14 10:49:55

It's difficult to tell how much he understands. If I say 'go find Iggle Piggle' he goes off but never comes back with anything. I don't know if this is because he doesn't understand or gets distracted. Just recently he's started to hand me things if I say 'ta' and put my hand out, but again I don't know if it's because he understands the word or is just responding to the action. The only other thing he sort of seems to understand is if I say 'what are you doing?' when he's up to mischief, when he'll laugh and try and run away hmm.

PleaseJustShootMeNow Wed 04-Jun-14 10:53:20

I think I'm more worried than I should be because DH didn't speak until really late because he's autistic and I already have an autistic DD. However, although it's early, I do not believe for one minute that DS is. I can see already that he is very charismatic and sociable and 'tuned in' to other children around him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now