Undescended testicle

(5 Posts)
Tangoandcreditcards Mon 02-Jun-14 06:51:53

DS1 is just coming up to 4mo. He was missing a testicle at his 8 week check and GP said to "pop back in a couple of weeks to get it checked". I know they can come and go but I haven't seen it at all. At what point should I worry and/or go back to the GP about it?

Apologies for early morning Monday ball chat.

violetlights Mon 02-Jun-14 07:09:42

If nothing is around at six months you should get referred. If need be they will then operate at around 12 months (although many do it before now).

If they find a healthy testicle they can move it into place (2small incisions). If not, they remove it (1 incision). Our DS had his removed at 12 months. He suffered absolutely no pain afterwards (gave him one dose of calpol just in case!) and no sign of a scar! And his fertility is not affected with just having one ball.

Don't know if you wanted this extra info but wanted to let you know if the worst case scenario does happen it's not bad at all!

Tangoandcreditcards Mon 02-Jun-14 07:18:26

Thanks violet. Sorry to hear your DS had the 'worst case' but glad it was an easy fix.

I'll stop worrying for a couple of months and bother the GP at 6 mo if still no sign.

s88 Mon 02-Jun-14 11:31:47

my dn had this and had to have an operative at about 9 months . He never had any issues and is now 7

Bedsheets4knickers Mon 02-Jun-14 13:17:31

My sons went up and down until he was over a year. Probably 50/50

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now