Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career ×

Fighting over Mummy, even though Daddy is here...

(5 Posts)
lottytheladybird Sat 31-May-14 19:47:23

We have 2 little DSs. Our eldest is almost 4 and our youngest has just turned 2. They keep fighting over me at the moment. For example, they always want to hold my hand, have me pick them up and have me do whatever it is they want me to do. My husband is a great hands on Dad, but they keep demanding Mummy for everything even if Daddy is around and wanting to involved.

Have you experienced a phase like this with your DC? Did you do anything that helped?

Delphiniumsblue Sat 31-May-14 22:23:58

I would deliberately go out- even if just for a walk and leave him to it- particularly at bedtime.

onestepbeyond Sat 31-May-14 22:29:32

I'm not sure but I seem to remember having read somewhere that at around 4yrs they tend to go through a phase of preferring the parent of the opposite sex and fighting for their attention -will try and find link

SanneSannes Mon 02-Jun-14 21:44:05

No advice, sorry, but interested to hear what others think as going through exactly the same with 3.5 yo DS and 20 mo DD. My DP is a SAHD however, whilst I am working full time, so I think in our case it is also a matter of me being away more-which makes it even more difficult for me to NOT give them the demanded attention in the little time I am at home with them. DS is extremely cuddly/clingy at the moment and the second I am in one room with him wants to sit/sleep on my lap-which understandably is difficult to accept by 20 mo DD who would like my attention too…very interested to check out the link if you can find it onestep

mummytime Mon 02-Jun-14 22:06:09

Sometimes children will just fight over anything the other one wants. My DC used to fight over who got the plate with a chip from it.
Give them dedicated Daddy time, without you being there.
Try to give one of them something to do that really rivals being with Mummy, and give attention to the other, then vice versa.

They will not be doing this when they are 18, well certainly not in the same way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now