Is it normal for a 6yr old to ask questions constantly?

(11 Posts)
Drainbread Tue 13-May-14 21:39:47

n

Drainbread Tue 13-May-14 21:40:11

Ah my message got deleted will try again.

Drainbread Tue 13-May-14 21:43:18

My 6 year old asks constant questions e.g

What do birds eat?
Do birds eat worms?
Are worms meat?
Which do they like best worms or berries?
Do lions eat birds?
Do lions eat dogs?
Would a lion kill a bird?
Do people die with their eyes open or eyes closed?
Will I die with my eyes open or closed?
did........die with their eyes open or closed?
Have the girls next door gone to sleep?
When will they go to sleep?
Are they asleep now?
Do they eat meat?
Why are they outside on their own?
Will they get run over?
ad infinitum

Drainbread Tue 13-May-14 21:47:32

Sorry will post in two parts as don't want to lose msg again.

This constant questioning is very draining. my DD is an anxious child and we are working on that. She hardly talks in class but at home it's almost constant. I wouldn't mind chatter but constant questions are wearing. I do try to say what do you think but sometimes I just want to say no more questions.

When she wants something she goes on and on about it too.
Can I have a cat? Why can't I have a cat?, When can i have a cat? Does....like cats? Why doesn't .....like cats?

I was just wondering what other 6 year olds were like. I don't know whether to attribute it to anxiety or normal development. I don't want to curb her natural curiosity but sometimes I find it obsessive.

BrokenStar Tue 13-May-14 21:49:10

I have a 5 year old like this. It's exhausting. I keep telling myself it's a good thing really, just not at 6am hmm.

Drainbread Tue 13-May-14 21:51:37

Yes it's so bad when it starts at 6am before I've had a cup of tea. Sometimes it feels like mental torture. I know I was a chatterbox as a child- I really hope I didn't torture my parents that way.

BrokenStar Tue 13-May-14 21:53:05

Answered too quickly! You have my sympathies, it can be very wearing and you do need the patience of a saint but sometimes it's ok to say no more questions.

thegambler Tue 13-May-14 21:56:56

Oh God yes it's normal and yes we were just like that.

Deverethemuzzler Tue 13-May-14 21:59:42

I have five DCs and they have all have gone through this stage at some point.
Each one has been different in the intensity of their questioning.
You have my sympathy.

Brokenstar makes a good point. It is fine to say no more questions for a while.

I have used 'ok. Its great talking about this but in five minutes we are going to stop for a bit ok?'

Or 'That is a really interesting question but I haven't got time to think about it properly right now so shall we talk about it after tea?'

Children can sometimes repeat questions because they like the security of hearing the same answer over again.

Drainbread Tue 13-May-14 22:05:23

This is reassuring as I have no comparison at the moment as other people's children don't act like this when they come over as obviously too busy playing. My younger DD is chatty but much less anxious generally and hasn't even gone through the why stage which DD1 did,

thegambler Tue 13-May-14 22:21:55

My youngest daughter (10yrs) has ended that stage and begun the one where she tells me answers and facts about all sorts, just a step on the way to becoming a teenager at which point she will know everything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now