Is it normal for 11 month old to be so rough?

(6 Posts)
ArtFine Mon 12-May-14 21:43:32

She pulls my hair, scratches my face and bites me even on my back. Is this normal? How do I get her to stop all this (I'm feeling a bit bullied)?

AndIFeedEmGunpowder Mon 12-May-14 23:19:58

Yes afraid it's normal!

Hair pulling/scratching/pinching I try to deal with by saying 'gentle' and moving her hand so it strokes me instead. Biting I am stricter with and say 'no biting' and if she does it again I pop her in her cot for a one minute time out. (Although DD is 19 months, your DD might be too little) Have also found biting is definitely worse when DD is teething, so handing her a cold teething ring can help.

DD does all these things when she wants attention so I find (although it's a bit counter intuitive) playing a 5 minute game with her or reading her a story seems to help too.

I'm so sorry, it's horrible when they hurt you isn't it? flowers

happygelfling Tue 13-May-14 04:38:02

My DD went through a phase like this, must have been sometime around that age. She would bite or pinch me while I was holding her. I put her down and moved away from her whenever she did it. She didn't like being put down (she was quite a velcro baby) so she stopped the biting/pinching fairly quickly. I didn't leave her for long enough to call it a time out, just putting her down got the message across that "mummy doesn't like this and won't put up with it".
I hope that helps. I don't think they are acting maliciously at that age, it's probably just another way of exploring...

Charlotteamanda1 Tue 13-May-14 06:23:29

It is normal. If she bites use cause and effect. Say her name and 'no'. Put her down , preferably in a toy free area and ignore her for a minute. Cause - she bites. Effect- something happens that's not to her liking eg she doesn't have your attention.
Time out is good when they are a little older. Try and avoid using the cot as a time out zone as it teaches them that bed is a bad or naughty place and could start sleep problems. Use somewhere neutral.

NotCitrus Tue 13-May-14 07:51:20

Dd was like this. She was better by 18 months and quite civilized by 2, but had to give up using a sling and co-sleeping was horrible.

ArtFine Tue 13-May-14 08:48:17

Thanks everyone! I'm going to say no, and put her down when she does that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now