2.8 DD withholding poo

(9 Posts)
whereisthewitch Sun 11-May-14 12:01:41

I don't know why things are like this, DD was a regular pooer up until about 6 months ago and now it's turning into an issue. She often withholds for about a week and then will do a hard large poo in bed. We've recently started potty training and I thought that would help but she just wont poo anywhere else but in her bed time pull up at about 11pm once a week.

I'm trying not to stress about it especially in front of herbut I ddon't know how to make her see that by going more often it won't be as sore for her. Her tummy is so bloated and her farts are noxious!

She eats plenty of fruit and veg, drinks plenty, runs around alot etc. I've been using lactulose this week which hasn't made any difference. Should I take her to the gp or is this something that will sort itself? Im particularly anxious because my DHs nephew started like this and he has severe toilet issues even now at the age of 10, so worried this is going to happen to DD.

whereisthewitch Sun 11-May-14 18:32:54

anyone?

snickers251 Sun 11-May-14 19:21:58

Get to the gp and try get some movicol.

Ds 3.8 has been a witholder for just over a year since the birth of dd.

It took a while to get the gp (or rather find a gp who actually knew about withholding) to stop prescribing lactulose or suppositories which did nothing and get started on the movicol.

The issue is still there so we have to make it soft so a sachet a day or we increase it by half a sachet each day if he hasn't gone, then start again after he's been. He once went well over a week, it was horrendous for all of us.

We did get him off the movicol for about 2 months and then he had a hard stool and it bought back the fear so were taking it slowly.

When he starts withholding I load him up on juice/water and eventually it just follows and he is happy again.

I've met a few parents of witholder and some have taken months and some years but eventually they got there smile

whereisthewitch Sun 11-May-14 19:29:37

Thanks snickers it's all so stressful isn't it? I feel awful for her but at the same time so frustrated because she needs to go so bad and I know that when I go up to bed tonight her room will stink and there will be a poo (she's due one and has been breaking wind all day).

I'm due a baby in 5 weeks and this is just going to add to a lot of the anxiety I have about everything, I'm trying to be blasé about it but I feel like screaming at her which is totally wrong I know and I wouldn't actually do it.

I'll make an appointment with the gp, I think her biggest problem is she doesn't drink enough, but you literally couldn't force her to drink or she gets upset.

snickers251 Sun 11-May-14 19:30:02

Sorry forgot to mention ds wasn't potty trained when it started but he's been day dry since August and night dry a week later.

I think it made the potty training a little more stressful but I find it easier to cope without the nappy as he doesn't want to have an accident and will run the the toilet when it eventually is ready to come out grin

snickers251 Sun 11-May-14 19:38:44

Despite now being a regular poo'er we still have the off crouching here and there but the movicol is helping so so much.

Funny ds started a couple of weeks before dd was born so we thought it was an attention thing?? Maybe it was, maybe just hard stools I didn't notice??

I remember how awful it was so you definitely have my sympathy �� we had lots of visitors because of dd and he was sitting there crouching and screaming like he was in agony and I would get so upset. One time we were so desperate we pulled his legs straight whilst he was withholding just to get it out ... That was a particularly bad time! shock

whereisthewitch Sun 11-May-14 19:52:37

It very possibly is an attention thing snickers, I have been quite poorly in this pregnancy so perhaps she has picked up on that a bit. I know when she's getting ready to go because she's miserable, cries over everything and just isn't herself which I'm sure anyone would be if they hadn't gone in a week. But she will always wait til late at night and some nights she will lie in it all night (if we've had an early night and I haven't realised) which stinks the whole house out and gives her a raw bum sad

Sometimes when I lay her back I can actually see it and there is some leakage but she refuses to push it out despite me cycling her legs, putting vaseline on etc.

I just don't know where I've gone wrong, she was so regular before.

snickers251 Mon 12-May-14 12:37:34

You haven't done anything wrong, just one of those things you never hear about till one of yours is going through it, I've found a few people in rl who went through it too who were so sympathetic as they know exactly how crappy it is for him.

It's a long stressful journey but I really feel happier and more relaxed about it all now even though he's still sort of going through it and you will too. How many 18 year olds do you know that are refusing to poo? grin x

whereisthewitch Mon 12-May-14 13:05:20

Glad to hear there is light at the end of the tunnel with it and you're right about her being 18 smile

She did a poo in bed last night at 1am but this time for the first she woke up and called me, asking me to change it so that's a positive step. (She usually just sleeps through it).

She's doing really well with potty training otherwise so not the worst in the world smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now