is it normal for toddlers to cry and cry every time he wakes?

(14 Posts)
charlietangoteakettlebarbeque Fri 09-May-14 06:22:31

don't know if this is common, but when my 20month old wakes up, in the morning, or from his nap, he cries blue murder. He never just wakes and plays or chills, he just screams. And it carries on for around 20 min after I've got him up.

I always have his bottle, comforter, and food available, but it doesn't work

He is g great sleeper, from 7 to 6 most nights and 2 hour nap every day.

Any ideas? X

BikeRunSki Fri 09-May-14 06:24:33

Dd (2.5) does this too, so watching with interest.

makeminea6x Fri 09-May-14 06:31:53

Also watching because DD(2.2),has just started doing this after waking up and happily chatting to herself for most of her life.

jaybirdsinginginthedeadofnight Fri 09-May-14 07:19:22

My DD did this when she woke from naps, I used to think it was because she hadn't slept long enough, but the length of the nap made no difference. So we just let her watch a bit of TV and gave her a snack and just let her come round. She's 2 now and still has a bit of a whinge when she gets up but nowhere near as bad as she was. Still have no idea why she did it though, I always assumed she'd wake up all sunshine and lollipops after a nap grin

charlietangoteakettlebarbeque Fri 09-May-14 11:31:41

maybe I just have to face it - he just doesn't like the period of time straight after he wakes.

Takes after his mummy then grin

spritesoright Fri 09-May-14 11:53:36

DD used to do this after naps resulting in the worst tantrum of the day. She's 2.5 now and doesn't nap but still a bit grumpy when she wakes up in the morning.
I think they just are a bit groggy and disoriented. TV was the only thing that worked for us too to calm her. Everything else was "NO!"

PastaandCheese Fri 09-May-14 11:54:50

Yes. TV was the only thing that helped with this too.

10 minutes of Peter Rabbit and she's back to normal.

gamerchick Fri 09-May-14 11:56:30

Mine used to do the same thing.... I don't name them really, I don't like waking up either grin

gamerchick Fri 09-May-14 11:56:43

WowOoo Fri 09-May-14 12:00:23

Is he woken up by something? Mine did this but usually when I woke him. When he woke naturally, he was happy as Larry.

When he woke me at 5:30 wanting to get ready for school, I could have cried grin

I used to put some mellow Bach on in his room to ease the transition and then brace myself.

charlietangoteakettlebarbeque Fri 09-May-14 12:22:18

haha woo, bach and brace.

I don't know - maybe something is waking him. I have tried later bedtimes before (I would love him to sleep later) but he always wakes at almost exactly the same time every day, regardless of bedtime. Not sure if its body clock, or maybe some sort of noise that goes off at the same time every morning. I can't think what it could be though. He does often still seem tired, even though he has had 11 hours solid sleep.

jaybirdsinginginthedeadofnight Fri 09-May-14 13:04:43

We have starlings nesting in the eaves outside DS's room so he is literally up with the birds at the mo (yaaaaaawn!) sad

charlietangoteakettlebarbeque Fri 09-May-14 14:31:41

was this the inspiration for your username??

jaybirdsinginginthedeadofnight Fri 09-May-14 15:27:28

Ha ha - no! But very apt none the less grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now