7 month old - is this normal?

(14 Posts)
EvenFlo Tue 06-May-14 06:07:46

I have a beautiful, healthy 7 month old who is developing well in all areas BUT he is displaying some behaviour I have never seen in other babies.

Throughout the day he has regular spells of holding his mouth open really wide (as if you have asked him to say 'aaahhh' but no sound comes out). There's no real pattern although he may do it a bit more when he is excited / over stimulated.
I made the mistake of googling and now wonder of this is an early autistic trait (like a type of stimming ).

Does anyone recall their child doing anything like this?

EvenFlo Tue 06-May-14 06:56:30

Anyone?

ComfyLeatherChair Tue 06-May-14 08:11:44

I can't remember it as happening with either of my two, but haven't heard of it associated with autism.
Has he been doing it long?
Are there any other traits that are concerning you?,I would phone the HV if you are worried.

ComfyLeatherChair Tue 06-May-14 08:15:24

I do remember my two doing odd things because they liked the sensation, and they are both NT as far as we know.

I know that I had a childhood habit of holding my arm up for ages, then putting it down again because I liked the sensation of the blood rushing back in to it.
I wonder if it could be something like that?
I also blow raspberries as an adult when I am stressed

EvenFlo Tue 06-May-14 08:46:40

Nothing else of concern really, does have some funny little habits but I have seen them in other babies too (putting weird stuff in his mouth, shaking head side to side).

It just seems a bit weird. Thing is, I know of I speak to HV, GP etc then they will say at this point there is nothing they can do.

EvenFlo Tue 06-May-14 10:46:56

Anyone else?

ikeaismylocal Tue 06-May-14 11:02:10

My ds went through a stage of sticking his toungue out at around 12 months, he did it constantly. I think he had just forgotten to bring it back into his mouth, maybe the same is true for your ds. Ds stopped doing it after a couple of months, but all the photos we have of him from around that time have his tounge sticking out.

squinney Tue 06-May-14 11:34:23

Yes! My dd did it around six months of age. I thought she was imitating me as I often pulled that face when she did something amazing smile. However, she did stop doing it as soon as she could garble a few words together. I think it was her first attempt at talking. I have since met a few other babies that have done the same. She's now 14 months and "appears" to be "normal" smile

PJ67 Tue 06-May-14 22:29:54

Chances are he's realised he can do this and therefore keeps doing it. It's a bit like when babies realise that they have got hands and can hold them in front of them and look at them for ages.

Lizzie568 Tue 06-May-14 22:36:41

My friends DS does exactly the same thing. Now nearly 2, she still does it when very excited or happy, and she is very bright and perfect in every other way. It's pretty cute. I wouldn't worry OP, just one of their little quirks I would think.

EvenFlo Wed 07-May-14 07:42:47

Thanks everyone, it's so hard not to over analyse everything!

Chocolatestain Wed 07-May-14 21:48:22

At about that age DS went through a phase of panting. The first time he did it we thought something was wrong with him, but then he stopped and grinned at us before doing it again. I think it was just something he realised he could do and was playing around with it.

These funny little 'because I can' traits get weirder as they get older. His current one is turning in circles on the spot until he gets dizzy and falls over. Go figure!

EvenFlo Thu 08-May-14 11:26:29

These are things they never tell you in baby books etc - simple fact seems to be that babies are weird, funny little creatures!

Will be something to mention at his 18th birthday party I guess...

SourSweets Thu 08-May-14 21:22:40

Mine went through this phase, turned out he was teething and it felt nice I guess. Cool air round the gums? No idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now