Help me make a decision please

(17 Posts)
Taler Sat 03-May-14 22:07:00

Tomorrow my husband and I are going I begin weaning our DD (who will b 4 days from her 6 month birthday).

I have done a load of research about weaning but I think the trouble is that I've probably done too much and now can't decide what to begin weaning her on. I keep changing my mind!

So, I will simply go with whatever the majority is of replies to this post.

Whatever happens I will be doing a mixture of BLW and spoon feeding but am feeling unsure about starting with baby rice. I don't really see the point in giving her something that she won't go on to eat?!?!

I have made an apple purée and a pear purée and wined whether to give just that? Or maybe sweet potato purée.

Please mums (and any dads reading too) decide for me as it's driving me maaaaaaad!!!

Layl77 Sat 03-May-14 22:11:20

A mixture of BLW and purée at 6m is not BLW. It's spoon feeding with finger foods.
If baby can pick things up you could offer them both and see what baby prefers?
I'd hold off on baby rice it's a non food really

Layl77 Sat 03-May-14 22:12:11

At 6m they can pretty much have anything so I wouldn't worry too much about it!

EmmaLL25 Sat 03-May-14 22:15:39

Don't bother with baby rice. It's weird stuff and constipated my LO.

Bit of apple purée great for first tastes. LO will prob manage finger foods already too.

Enjoy, it's fun.

callamia Sat 03-May-14 22:16:19

We started with sticks of cucumber. Was brilliant for sore gums.
DS (6m) loves wedges of roast sweet potato and squash, he sucks off all the flesh and leaves the skin.

Regular porridge with your puree fruit might be nice? We've not bothered with baby rice - it's pretty empty in terms of nutrition, and it looks like wallpaper paste.

EmmaLL25 Sat 03-May-14 22:16:57

Don't bother with baby rice. It's weird stuff and constipated my LO.

Bit of apple purée great for first tastes. LO will prob manage finger foods already too.

Enjoy, it's fun.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 03-May-14 22:39:45

Another vote for not bothering with the baby rice. Completely pointless smile

In your research have you discovered the MN weaning info, weaning recipes and weaning discussions? smile

Taler Sat 03-May-14 22:44:46

No I haven't ???

Atbeckandcall Sat 03-May-14 22:48:31

Baby rice is rank. Millet is great though, has more flavour and is better for babies apparently. You can get it in health food stores, some supermarkets and some ethnic shops. It's commonly used in African countries for weaning.

fififrog Sat 03-May-14 22:52:41

DD's first 'meal' was apple and pear puree grin we had a week's holiday and tried all sorts of veg and fruit. some she ate, some she didn't. the only one to give us issues was banana which constipated her. i used baby rice to test whether she'd lost her gag reflex every few days after she started grabbing for my food all the time. and i mixed it in with pureed veg a bit. but i don't think I'd bother next time.

MichaelFinnigan Sat 03-May-14 22:53:56

Just have what you'd usually have but cook without salt then put a bit in front of her and leave her to it

Vijac Sat 03-May-14 22:56:04

I weaned with mashed up and soft foods like banana, avocado, baby porridge, baby yoghurt and puréed apple. Plus some finger foods, maybe a little later. Like toast, cucumber, carrot, banana and bread sticks. Then later brought in baby meals like blended or mashed fish in sauce, bolognaise, cottage pie etc. Then gradually just went to regular (child friendly) diet. Seemed to work for us. Don't over think it, most things are fine just go for a variety and make sure all eating is supervised until chewing, swallowing and sitting up are second nature-ie. close supervision for 9months-1year plus.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 04-May-14 09:18:40
Kissmequick123 Sun 04-May-14 19:25:15

Stay away from gluten for a few more months. Baby led weaning yes. Thin Avocado slices, bits of what ever you are eating as long as its salt free and not processed.

My kids eat everything generally. Always given them adult meals, never processed kiddie food (fish fingers, sausages, spaghetti hoops, crisps, chips, frubes etc).

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 04-May-14 21:21:23

kiss is there a reason the OP should avoid gluten? The nhs just say not before 6 months?

JimBobplusasprog Sun 04-May-14 21:27:07

Start with pureed vegetables rather than fruit so they don't develop a sweet tooth. Don't delay introduction of things like dairy nuts and gluten too long as it can up the risk of allergies.

Thurlow Sun 04-May-14 21:30:58

I'd try some nice fruit and vegetable purees, and also offer some finger foods at times so you can work out whether your baby will prefer blw-style finger foods or spoon-feeding. Be prepared for her to not be very interested for months though! Some babies get it quickly, some don't - it can be a bit disheartening when they don't eat, but it is quite common for babies not to really 'get' solid food until they are nearer 8-9 months. Just go at her pace and follow her lead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now