4 yr DD fly phobia taking over

(6 Posts)
WhooshFuckerFairy Sat 03-May-14 06:59:15

We can't pinpoint when it started but DD aged 4 now has a worsening fly phobia . She is a very calm child normally but screeches if there is a fly in the house and starts to imagine it's on her and uncontrollably shakes her head and flicks her hair off her .
She has started having bad dreams that a fly is biting her and is even becoming reluctant to go in the garden on a sunny day .
Any suggestions of how to manage this ?

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Sat 03-May-14 13:46:48

"We are big and bugs are small" was our mantra one long ago summer. Staying matter-of-fact without dismissing or pooh-poohing childish fears seemed to help along with playmates who were relaxed about the creatures. Ladybirds have wings and are to our ears at least inaudible so maybe at arm's length try and introduce her to something that does fly without noise?

Is it all winged insects? I can see why she might be nervous in a confined space with something she dislikes so strongly. Perhaps talking about what you see in the garden or as you go around might help her see everything has its place in the natural world.
Eg bees are noisy but industrious and can sting us whereas flies are busy in their own way but not exactly contributing to our world beyond being foid for spiders and birds.

If she's anxious about food hygiene and things landing on surfaces explain to her we keep things clean and cover food and wash our hands etc.

If this is ongoing possibly consider consulting your GP for a referral to a child psychologist?

nozzernoodles Sat 03-May-14 13:59:01

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1845290860?pc_redir=1399055127&robot_redir=1
My DS suffers from an anxiety disorder and has a whole list of things that he reacts very similarly to your DD. His CBT therapist recommended the book above to us and it is really good. It talks you through a range of strategies to use and also some dos and don'ts around the things to say etc. it is aimed at slightly older children than your DD, but there is a section at the back for younger children.
Worth a look, but shop around as the price when I look ranges from £4-£12!
Good luck.

WhooshFuckerFairy Sat 03-May-14 17:38:16

Thanks both - will use all of those suggestions and have ordered the book . It has been a sunny day here - so have had plenty of time to practice ........
Holding into the mantra " all things will pass "

JokersGiggle Sun 04-May-14 22:55:20

This may sound silly but years ago I was terrified of flies! I went to the gp, he did hearing tests and he said as my hearing was so sensitive the frequency of flies wings prob hurt me (rather than just being an annoying buzzz) and that's what I was responding too.
Does she have sensitive hearing? If so wearing foam ear plugs for a bit might help deaden the sound and slowly re-adjust her to it.
My doctor said its rare in adults but fairly common children to have problems with over sensitive hearing.

PeonyStick Tue 06-May-14 11:33:49

I have no idea - but how interesting. Thinking about it - she hates it when I dry my hair or hoover.......
Gosh . Thankyou

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now