Please reassure me

(15 Posts)
kate1516 Fri 02-May-14 20:42:00

Just heard my husband on the phone to his mum telling her our 10 month old son will be trouble when he is older (not in a joking way). Reason is that he has always been very very active. Does not sit still. Even as a tiny baby his arms and legs would move constantly. Recently he has started banging his toys loudly against the floor, throwing things away from him and shaking the stair gate like he is the Incredible Hulk! He finds it all incredibly funny. I have not had any worries as surely this is a phase all babies go through - testing strength, listening to loud noises etc. However, his sister also told me last time she has my son down as being the future bully of the cousins.

I am (quite clearly!) a first time mum and have had a couple of wines so can someone reassure me as can tend to be a worrier. Thanks x

SourSweets Fri 02-May-14 21:25:19

Sounds exactly like my son (9 months) and while I don't know how he'll turn out I'm sure he'll be as happy and sweet and lively as he is now. Don't worry!

SugarPlumpFairy3 Fri 02-May-14 21:26:14

A bully? Was she serious?!

Your ds sounds absolutely normal!He's exploring his world, nothing to do with being naughty etc.

Enjoy him smile.

rootypig Fri 02-May-14 21:26:42

his sister also told me last time she has my son down as being the future bully of the cousins

This is a fucking ridiculous thing to say about a ten month old. Why does DH's family think this way confused

tumbletumble Fri 02-May-14 21:27:59

My DS1 was a very very active baby. I remember an occasion when all the other babies in the group were crawling about inside a play tent and he was the one climbing up it! He's now a sport and very sensible 8yo smile

Sunnydaysablazeinhope Fri 02-May-14 21:29:15

Frankly it's impossible to tell.

He could grow up to be Mozart, Julian clary or zac efron too....

PlinkyPlonker Fri 02-May-14 21:29:50

Please don't worry yourself! All babies go through a noisy / banging phase - it's one of the first ways they can affect the world around them. Banging toys / dropping toys / making loud noises just because it's fun!

kate1516 Fri 02-May-14 21:33:56

Thank you. My DS is such a happy thing - always smiling and laughing that I know I shouldn't worry. I know he is fine.

kate1516 Fri 02-May-14 21:36:21

Oh and should probably say DHs family are generally lovely with my DS. They think he is funny as has no fear and crawls up to anyone with a big grin. I just don't really understand what makes them think he will be the bully. Maybe just his confidence?

EugenesAxe Fri 02-May-14 21:49:51

No I can't reassure you these things will certainly amount to nothing, but nonetheless I think you should try to relax as it's very early in your DS's life and lots may change.

I don't like your SIL's attitude - pigeonholing your DS as a bully means she will be on the lookout for that behaviour, which he may notice and play up to.

If you are still worried you could always google the traits of your DS or post on the special needs board to see if they resonate with anyone as cause for concern or not.

rootypig Fri 02-May-14 21:56:34

I dunno OP but you should nip it in the bud. Families are ever so good at deciding people's personalities for them.

Jaffakake Fri 02-May-14 21:56:43

My ds, the funniest, most loving & kind boy did this at 10 months. They're talking rubbish! IMHO bullies end up so due to lack of love & discipline.

vichill Sun 11-May-14 20:08:24

laughable reaction to very normal behaviour. with respect they sound a bit clueless about babies.

FlossieTreadlight Sun 11-May-14 20:21:58

My daughter was exactly the same at 9/10 months - sounds like you've got a very engaging, funny baby. Enjoy smile

mummyxtwo Tue 13-May-14 01:07:40

Agree with the above posts that the comments made by your relatives are complete nonsense. He's 10mo!! And it sounds like he is lively, active and happy - which might lead to him being a lively, active, happy toddler and small boy, but why would that make him a bully?! My ds1 is 5.5yo and was totally like your ds at that age. He has always been a loving, sociable and outgoing but gentle boy, who is very sweet with his little sister and cousin and hugs them and brings them toys if they cry. Tell your rellies to get a grip!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now