can someone explain reading levels/colours to me?

(7 Posts)
ditsydoll Thu 01-May-14 23:05:33

Dd is in reception but one of the younger ones in her class.
She's recently moved school and settling in quite well but she's had quite a lot of time off due to illness.
I'm just wondering what the colour stages are and what colour roughly she should 've on for her age.
Thanks (we are in the UK)

Flexiblefriend Fri 02-May-14 20:22:37

I think the first three colours are pink, then red, then yellow if I remember correctly. I wouldn't worry about it too much at this stage though. Its still very early days, so whatever stage she is at is fine. If she is settling in well that is the most important thing.

ohisay Sat 03-May-14 07:12:24

colour banding varies from school to school, some just follow one reading scheme, others are mixed so create their own colour bands, all very confusing when trying to figure out where your own child is!
our school had a mix of different reading schemes so had their own colour coding system. what books is your daughter actually reading?

This is helpful:

www.readingchest.co.uk/book-bands

But there'll be people along in a minute claiming their children are all free reading (ie finished the bands) by the age of 5. Try not to worry about them. In my daughter's reception class there are people still on pink, and people much higher. I know of one mum who commented one child raced through the bands and her other child found it a struggle in reception and then it all just clicked in Year 1. Reading's a funny old thing.

tumbletumble Sat 03-May-14 07:26:41

Agree the colours can vary from school to school. Maybe have a quick chat with her teacher if you are worried?

ShanghaiDiva Sat 03-May-14 07:33:06

The colours are as follows:
Pink, red, yellow, blue, green, orange, turquoise, purple, gold, white and lime.
I have been helping with reading in years 1,2 and 3 for 5 years and there can be a large range in terms of books children are reading. This year the year one class I read with most of the children were on pink at the beginning of the year and all have made good progress with some now on orange. Progress is not linear and sometimes kids plateau and then you suddenly see a huge leap in progress/ability.
If you want you want to do some practice at home jolly phonics is good.

odyssey2001 Sat 03-May-14 07:55:39

As a teacher, I can confirm that they are a lot of different commercial schemes that use different colour sequences. Also, lots of schools have made up their own over the years. Worse still, schools often use more than one scheme! While other posters may appear helpful, their advice will only apply to their school.

If the colours are printed on the book itself, Google the manufacturer and see whether they have any guidance on their website. If it looks like the school have stuck the stickers on themselves, the internet and Mumsnet can't help. Try asking their teacher.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now