12yro suddenly talking about boys and rude stuff?

(10 Posts)
Sophietime Wed 30-Apr-14 22:34:47

The other week my daughter came home (She walks with her mates) and she came in, She is a considerably bright child in my eyes but this was the conversation when she walked in:
Me: Hi Lily, How was school?
Lily: Not too bad!
Me: What did you learn today then?!
Lily: Nothing
Me: Oh
Lily: Buuuttt.... Mum, I got a boyfriend yesterday and he is so cute, he is well taller than me and all the other boys are cute! We said we were gonna have * when we were older at break and we were gonna marry and have kids!
Me: Don't take that into consideration just this minute, sweetie!
Lily: goes on a rant about boys and other rude stuff
I sent her to her room after talking about very rude stuff, and I peeped in and saw her reading a magazine about boys, Is this normal that she suddenly starts talking about it? She used to hate boys and all this and now she does! So is it normal for a 12yro?

AwfulMaureen Wed 30-Apr-14 23:47:53

hmm

lordStrange Wed 30-Apr-14 23:50:00

eh?

Sophietime Wed 30-Apr-14 23:55:05

Is it normal that she suddenly has started going on about boys 24/7?

wheresthelight Thu 01-May-14 00:18:52

Yup afraid so!!

Kissmequick123 Fri 02-May-14 07:40:48

What's the rude bit?

My DD is 12 and has started to think about the opposite sex a little. When she raises getting married, having sex when older, it's a great doorway into chatting about things. Its a positive shes so open with you because some aren't. You could have congratulated her on being reflective enough not to rush into having kids. You could have used the opportunity to discuss what it's like to have a new born or agreed with having sex when much older.

odyssey2001 Fri 02-May-14 07:56:29

It is hard to comment when you have left out what she actually said that you consider rude, but wouldn't it be better to talk about it in a grown up fashion instead of sending her to get room?

Sending her away will give her the impression that it is something she cannot talk to you about. That could get very messy in a few years. She needs to understand that sex and sexual feelings are nothing to be ashamed of.

Ledkr Fri 02-May-14 08:12:15

Yes it's normal to be boy obsessed however I'm not sure what you mean my "Rude stuff" as although I'm very open with my 12 yr old I don't think at 12 she would discuss actual sexual stuff with me, she's more about fit boys and how "annoying" they are etc.
what did she actually say to be sent to her room?

NCISaddict Fri 02-May-14 08:28:43

Has she started her periods yet, if not it probably won't be long now. Perfectly normal for her to be thinking about boys all the time. It's a good thing that she's talking about it to you too so don't punish her for that.

Cast1ststone Fri 02-May-14 20:06:53

ohh nooo the boy crazy stage...well it is not really a stage or phase as it is she likes boys and she wants to share that with you. I would be honored but informing and have the birds and bees talk again if not already. She needs to feel comfortable sharing herself with you and you should explain why you are punishing her? Not here but to her cuz she could feel that you are mad cuz she was honest and shared and cause more problems. I would rather know what is going on then have her lie cuz she is afraid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now