My 5 year old has flipped. Losing the will to live.

(11 Posts)
TheNightIsDark Wed 30-Apr-14 20:32:53

He won't listen, he won't go to bed, he puts down his little sister telling her her writing is rubbish, her pictures are stupid etc.
he's been at school today, football club and is still not tired. He growls or makes stupid noises at me, be talks in a hideous baby voice when I've asked him repeatedly not to. He runs off, he doesn't listen.

I've tried praising, ignoring, bollocking, reward charts. Nothing. He's now lost his bedroom and DD will be sharing with baby DS2 as he has just woke him up for the 5th time by screaming and shouting from his bed.

He was fine until the Easter holidays. A little naughty but nothing like this until the second week.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 30-Apr-14 20:49:58

Have you spoken to his teacher? Has anything changed at home or school? Has he been unwell? My dd can be badly behaved when she is feeling unwell.

TheNightIsDark Wed 30-Apr-14 20:55:18

He hasn't been ill in any way since his third birthday and he had chickenpox confused

I'll speak to his teacher tomorrow. He hasn't said anything at school is bothering him. I'm going back to work in a month so he might be anxious about going to the CM but he seems quite excited.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 30-Apr-14 21:03:16

Is it a cm he knows? Has he had any settling in sessions? How old is ds2?

TheNightIsDark Wed 30-Apr-14 21:11:02

DS2 is 7 months and the light of DS1s life. He's obsessed with him. He spends nearly every waking minute playing with him, talking and singing to him etc.
he's met the childminder and will go to her house for a short visit shortly before he starts there.

Charlotteamanda1 Fri 02-May-14 03:04:54

Children's behaviour is reactionary. He is reacting to something. It sounds like he is letting it out with you. I feel you need to talk to the school. Try drawing pictures with him about how he feels etc.

claraschu Fri 02-May-14 03:11:42

His feelings about the baby sound extreme, too. He might be very jealous and taking it out on you, as he feels it is unacceptable to be angry at a helpless baby. He may actually want to treat baby worse than his sister, but he may be getting a lot of praise for being such a loving brother to the baby.

TheNightIsDark Fri 02-May-14 22:24:56

Spoken to school. Rather they spoke to me after he head butted a year 3 today at lunch. He's written an apology letter and I took it round with him to give to her (Ndn who is his friend). No reason given for hurting her.

School are asking SENCO to get involved.

claraschu Sat 03-May-14 13:00:32

If he was really fine until Easter, it seems unlikely to be a case of SEN. Why is the school getting SENCO involved? I guess it will be helpful to get some suggestions and feedback from someone who has a fresh perspective on his behaviour-

Isn't it more likely that he is reacting to something that happened in his life? Quite often, children have a delayed reaction to the birth of a sibling, or maybe something is going on at school which no one has picked up on.

Does he seem happy to go to school? Is he confident academically? Does he have friends whom he gets on with easily?

I am sorry you are going through this, and good luck.

TheNightIsDark Sat 03-May-14 21:16:01

Academically his teacher says she could plonk him in year 1 now and he would coast.

His behaviour was bad at school- inability to sit still on carpet, listening probs, will only concentrate fully if drawing or making something eg. Models.

We had to move his school 2 months into reception as his last school was refusing to acknowledge his medical problems (blockage in bowel which led to soiling) and they said they thought he has ADHD or ASd but refused to consider an IEP or SENCO involvement.

His dad has ADHD. I've been worried since DS was 2 that something wasn't right IYSWIM. He tends to fixate on friends and will get quite intense then he doesn't understand when they back off.

He was referred to CAMHS by the GP but they said there wasn't enough to go on and he was too young to assess.

TheNightIsDark Sat 03-May-14 21:17:38

By fine until Easter I mean fine as in he was going to bed fairly well (used to shout, play and scream until 10pm), didn't lash out unprovoked as much and was only screaming in my face if I was talking to him or make stupid noises at me once a day.

My definition of fine for him may not be the usual one!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now