Do all 4 week olds project contempt and misery or is it just mine?

(12 Posts)
nevergoogle Tue 29-Apr-14 13:03:04

Or do all mothers of 4 week olds project contempt and misery? smile

You'd think I'd know this stuff by now, this is DC3.

He looks so miserable all the time. He still sleeps a lot but when he's awake he's so grizzly only showing affection for the retro 70s curtains.

The windy smiles show great promise of a glorious grin but when will I see it?

He likes bathtime, walks in the pram and curtains.

He might like Alicia Dixon but that may have been wind.

What to do? what to do?

Maybe it's just his face?

nevergoogle Tue 29-Apr-14 13:17:56

He looks like Winston Churchill.

MorelloKisses Tue 29-Apr-14 13:23:25

Hahah, when our now 6 month old was 4 weeks she almost induced a breakdown in DP due to only liking to look at lamps and lights. She even had favourites! (she would not look at her dad AT ALL)

8 weeks we got a proper grin

ChunkyPickle Tue 29-Apr-14 13:26:26

My second is a cheerful soul. DS1 however had the look on his face that I had been judged, and found wanting for about the first year...

callamia Tue 29-Apr-14 13:27:10

Haha, aw. At that age, we got contempt and occasion smirking. I felt so special...

nevergoogle Tue 29-Apr-14 13:33:17

It's very off putting isn't it.

He will turn his head to look for my face when i move from side to side, but it seems only to give me a hard stare. Then if my attempts to entertain are not satisfactory he'll just slowly close his eyes as if to dismiss my efforts. Nice try mother, but not even close.

"Judged and found wanting" grin Exactly!

SamL88 Wed 30-Apr-14 23:49:28

I felt exactly the same. My poor LO had a chest infection for the first week of her life and then contracted meningitis. We spent a lot of time in hospital and she was constantly being prodded and poked. I thought she looked so miserable and that life was just a bit s***. But at 7 weeks she started to smirk and now at 9 weeks she can produce the biggest and most amazing grin. It makes everything worthwhile.

Chocolatestain Thu 01-May-14 06:44:10

I remember when DS was tiny he was so solemn all the time and more than one person said he looked like he was carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders. I was really worried he was going to be a terribly serious child who didn't know how to have fun. With hindsight I think it was just a combination of lack of control over his own facial muscles and colic. He's a very happy smiley toddler now.

PseudoBadger Thu 01-May-14 06:49:09

DS was like this, but he had awful reflux and probably wondered why I kept torturing him with milk.

PastaandCheese Thu 01-May-14 06:54:44

Ha ha. Mine looked like they were practising for gurning competitions they were bound to win.

It was as though they'd been here before and were very unimpressed to be back.

nevergoogle Thu 01-May-14 19:36:30

grin aw crap, reincarnated as another human. grr. grin

nevergoogle Thu 01-May-14 19:40:20

we have discovered infacol which seems to helping. the first two never had colic so this is new to us.

Sam, sorry to hear you've had a rough time. DS1 was born with group b strep pneumonia and given preventative treatment for meningitis. hope you are all holding up ok now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now