2nd dry night for ds 7.4. Is this it?!

(631 Posts)
Whereisegg Sat 26-Apr-14 10:48:46

Ds has had very few dry nights in his life, and even fewer of these have been in a row.

At 5 he had his HUGE (surgeon said biggest he'd seen) tonsils and adenoids removed due to sleep apnea.
Dr had mentioned that his brain was so concerned about keeping him breathing, it didn't care if he wee'd but that this would likely resolve itself after surgery.
It did, for 3 nights.

Fast forward a couple of years solid of brick-heavy pants every morning (and occasional wet beds too despite pants), we are on our second morning in a row of bone dry pants.

I don't want to be too outwardly excited at home in front of ds as he can't control it, so I want to be excited here please!

Could this be it, or just a lucky streak?

Whereisegg Thu 16-Jul-15 11:31:45

mychildren thanks grin smile

mychildrenarebarmy Mon 13-Jul-15 21:44:53

Have you approached your GP for a referral to the enuresis clinic?

willthiseverbloodystop Mon 13-Jul-15 21:36:13

Just realised I was actually pointed to this brilliant thread by the OP,so thank you , and I m so glad your ds has cracked it !

willthiseverbloodystop Mon 13-Jul-15 21:21:46

Oh and I meant to name change, of course it doesn't relate to this topic!

willthiseverbloodystop Mon 13-Jul-15 21:20:27

I m just joining this after advice from Lemonsole on another thread I started about dd , who is just 7 and still in soaking pull ups. From that thread and reading this wonderful one i ve decided to chill, and find a way of getting her to drink more in the day as step 1. I was also preventing sleepovers as concerned she would get teased so tonight have said she can have them, she said her best friend knows anyway so I said well that's fine and anyone else she can just wear pants over pull ups as extra disguise if she prefers to keep it private. She asked me who would put them on her and take them off which triggered a thought in me that she needs to take control now, maybe that will help a little in her deciding she wants to try and wee in the night, at the moment even if she wakes and comes into me with some excuse like a teddy falling put of bed she still won't try! Very resistant to it. So I figure make her a bit more independent and she might gain a bit of confidence to try and be dry?

mychildrenarebarmy Mon 13-Jul-15 13:18:56

I'm just resurrecting this thread because it has now been so long that DS has been dry that I would have to look back through the charts for the nurse to see how many nights. :D

The final key for us has been the alarm. It was hard going to begin with, but after a few weeks it started to help. Then all of a sudden he was dry. Now the alarm is back in the box waiting to be returned to the enuresis clinic (along with a huge great big thank you!).

Whereisegg and Lemonsole, thank you to both of you in particular on this board for helping me stay sane and hopeful. flowers

Whereisegg Tue 12-May-15 08:29:46

It's lovely not to be washing so much although I can't quite bring myself to get rid of the dry nites from the airing cupboard grin

tostaky Mon 11-May-15 09:30:58

Fantastic! You must be very pleased!

Whereisegg Mon 11-May-15 06:55:53

Lots of lovely news all round then!
I can't remember when ds started on this dry run but it must be months and months now, with one random wet night.
Very happy here smile

tostaky Sun 10-May-15 21:31:22

Ps: day wetting still a problem for DS2... I am now thinking it could be a sign for a much bigger problem like being on the (low) sprectrum for asd (there are other signs)

tostaky Sun 10-May-15 21:28:33

Thank you for suggesting to stop lifting my children. It worked a treat on DS2 and has improved DS1. My life has changed... I am not constantly washing bedsheets!!

Now I am wondering, DS3 is turning 3 soon. He has been dry during the day for almost 6 months now. When should i remove the nappy at night?

Fresh01 Thu 07-May-15 22:18:13

Mychildren, the Paediatrician tried my DD on DesmoMelt and Ditropan last Autumn. Neither was changing anything so we took her off them again. So the medication route isn't guaranteed to work either.......

mychildrenarebarmy Thu 07-May-15 14:48:54

We were told the same about bedwetting/constipation link and it does make sense.

The alarm for us is/was the last step before medication and I really didn't want to go down that road!

Fresh01 Thu 07-May-15 11:49:56

That is fantastic mychildren.

We got an appointment with the Enuresis clinic. She was good for working out that DD was drinking half of what she should be drinking in the day. We have now doubled what she is drinking in a day and seeing what happens.....
We had tried everything else she was suggesting already.
She did say nighttime wetting won't stop till her other daytime wetting and constipation issues are sorted out. She said a lot of bed wetting is linked to constipation.
But we have had to ditch the pull ups again as they don't help the process of helping stopping bed wetting only saves with the laundry....

mychildrenarebarmy Wed 06-May-15 15:55:14

18 nights. 18 nights!!!!!!!!

mychildrenarebarmy Thu 30-Apr-15 09:14:30

No, but a search on her name shows a few posts elsewhere in the last few weeks. I hope it's going well for her and her DS.

I am feeling very optimistic here. We have now had the alarm for nearly 9 weeks. It was very hit and miss to begin with, and we had a few positive nights after a couple of weeks then it went completely out the window. It wasn't looking too good but we have stuck with it. For the last 12 nights now he has been dry and in the last month we have only had 4 wet nights.

I made some notes last time we went to see the nurse about what to do when it turned round, and I'm darned if I can find them! There was something about really challenging him by giving a big glass of water at bedtime. Must look harder!

Whereisegg Mon 27-Apr-15 15:41:32

Anyone seen lemon about?

Fresh01 Sun 22-Mar-15 22:00:27

We are still here too. DD is wearing pull-ups at night, she isn't keen but agreed. She deals with them herself but I have been checking the bathroom bin and they are wet about 5 days out of 7.
Still refuses to wear the alarm. Apart from waiting in not sure what to do next.....

Whereisegg Fri 20-Mar-15 16:42:49

Oh and hurrah for dry nights! grin

Whereisegg Fri 20-Mar-15 16:42:15

I don't have any advice on daytime wetting really.
Is it happening at the same times, or when he's really engrossed in something fun?
Keeping a food diary might help to rule out any sensitivity to foods.
Is he doing a huge wee or a dribble?

Would def rule out a uti smile

tostaky Fri 20-Mar-15 13:38:54

My 5 yo does sometimes complain of a pain above the groin area (where you would have a c-section scar) but thats very occasional. Im taking him to the GP but i dont think it could be a UTI. His daytime wet accidents have been going on since i temoved the nappy for potty training.

tostaky Fri 20-Mar-15 13:36:56

Still no bedtime accidents! Great!
Next - any advice on daytime wetting for a 5yo boy (rarely poo accident too).
Ive tried increasing his fluid intake as recommended on the ERIC website but it is really hard to make him drink more fluids. Ive tried sticker chart too + motivational speech by paedetrician : nothing has worked. Still2 or 3 accidents a day.

Whereisegg Wed 18-Mar-15 22:28:11

It might be it, I wouldn't get too excited wink
It took ds a good couple of weeks with the alarm seeming to do bugger all, then.... ta da!

tostaky Wed 18-Mar-15 19:07:39

The first night we didnt lift, they both peed in the early hours. Then the last two nights they were both dry.... Is this it? If it is then that was easy!!! Too much worrying for nothing!im glad i read the thread smile

Whereisegg Wed 11-Mar-15 08:09:23

Well lifting isn't recommended at all, it seems that you are encouraging them to pee whilst (half) asleep and if you do it at the same time every night then you are sort of training them to pee at that time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now