Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

2nd dry night for ds 7.4. Is this it?!

(596 Posts)
Whereisegg Sat 26-Apr-14 10:48:46

Ds has had very few dry nights in his life, and even fewer of these have been in a row.

At 5 he had his HUGE (surgeon said biggest he'd seen) tonsils and adenoids removed due to sleep apnea.
Dr had mentioned that his brain was so concerned about keeping him breathing, it didn't care if he wee'd but that this would likely resolve itself after surgery.
It did, for 3 nights.

Fast forward a couple of years solid of brick-heavy pants every morning (and occasional wet beds too despite pants), we are on our second morning in a row of bone dry pants.

I don't want to be too outwardly excited at home in front of ds as he can't control it, so I want to be excited here please!

Could this be it, or just a lucky streak?

soupmaker Fri 20-Feb-15 00:05:42

I've read the whole thread. Fresh, my DD1 does that unable to do a wee before bed thing then half an hour later gets up and does one. No idea what that's all about.

We are in UTI hell again. DD1 came home from school having had two accidents and childminder said she went to the loo about 6 times in the 2 hours she had her. I've just been up with poor DD1 who managed to take off her pull up in her sleep and then wee all over her bed. I know from the smell she's got an infection again so we won't be trying any alarm until she's okay. Fourth UTI since October. It's just so bloody unfair. She drinks loads of water and tries so hard but her damn bladder just won't work for her.

I know I can't hold back DD2 from toilet training but having has such an awful experience with DD1 I'm dreading it.

Whereisegg Thu 19-Feb-15 21:10:08

Don't feel guilty, it's ok to need a break from sleepless nights after more than 7 years smile
Can you show him them going up to age 15 in the supermarket? It really helped ds when he had a wobble about them.
As did putting him in charge of them, because it's a big job. He had to make sure he had enough pairs (I would sneakily check), my ds was happy to have them in his drawer but you and your ds could shop for a special basket or box, taking them off needs to be the first job of the day maybe going in a new bin with a lid in his room or a stash of carrier bags, he could occasionally look for special offers online as he is in charge etc etc.

Fresh01 Thu 19-Feb-15 21:03:08

Following what egg said about people knowing, we had visitors last weekend and their DD was sharing DD's room. I spoke with DD and she wanted to wear pull-ups whilst her room was being shared. We agreed a hiding place in the bathroom where she could lock herself in and put it on once her PJ's were on. Then there was a covered bin in the bathroom for her to put it in in the morning. She was happy as she could do it completely in private.

Soup, you can't hold DD2 back from TT because of DD1's problems. My DD with problems is DC2 of 4 children. DC3 trained day and night before the age of 3 with no issues. Only a 2 year age gap between her and him so she wasn't so aware of her problems.
DC4 is 2 years younger again. She day trained last summer at 2.5 and was dry at night before xmas. We removed her pull ups then but she has more accidents in jan and was referring to DD2 wetting the bed so she has been put back in pull ups to stop her talking about it to take any pressure off DD2.
I have talked at length with DD2 about everyone being different and that there will be at least one other person in her class with the same night problems. We have also said this is her "thing", DC3 had to get speech therapy so that was his "thing", DC1 (9) despite previously being a good eater is being fussy at the moment so we are saying that is her "thing" We are trying to say to her everyone has a "thing" they have to work through.

benandhollyonrepeat Thu 19-Feb-15 21:02:18

DS doesn't want to wear pull ups again as he feels that it's babyish and that it means he has failed as being able to be dry at night. I feel so sorry for him and so wish he didn't have this worry. I have managed to persuade him to wear one tonight, after reading your tips on here about them being for up to age 15 etc and making it private so DD (who is younger and dry at night) doesn't see etc. He has gone to bed wearing one but I now feel guilty for making him wear it knowing it was making him feel like this. I just need a break tonight from being up and down all night and the huge amount of washing in the morning.

soupmaker Thu 19-Feb-15 18:50:06

Hello Fresh. We tried 2 desmomelts too - made not a jot of a difference. I'm often at my wits end with it all. We have a DD2 and I am already panicky about her toilet training and she's only 18 months.

I just wish I could fix everything for DD1. It would make life so much better for all of us, especially her.

Right I'm off to the start of this thread for some reassurance and ideas of where the hell to go from here.

Whereisegg Thu 19-Feb-15 16:58:53

It isn't recommended sad
Have you tried going through the options with him?
As in we can do x, y, or z but a isn't working anymore.
I'm not too sure what options I would present to your ds but things like
wearing pants x amount of times a week so he is getting proper sleep, getting an alarm (finances allowing), he helps you to re-make his bed in the morning/evening, being responsible for making sure he is drinking more every day.

Are you double sheeting the bed so you can just strip a layer off at a time?
What are his reasons for not wanting to wear pants? Is it the way they feel?
Most brands offer free samples to find some that are comfy.
If it's siblings/people knowing can you offer him absolute privacy morning and evening to get them on/off?

benandhollyonrepeat Thu 19-Feb-15 16:08:40

No he won't go back into pull ups, i keep trying to persuade him, just to give me a break from the washing, but he gets really upset about it. We stopped lifting him about a year ago but I'm tempted to try that again just in the hope of maybe getting a dry night - do you think that's a mistake though?

Fresh01 Thu 19-Feb-15 13:20:50

Soupmaker, I think you and I share a daughter! My DD is just over 7 and along with the deep sleeping and nighttime wetting, we have been seeing a paediatrician for daytime wetting and constipation - not severe constipation but enough for them to feel her bowels push on her bladder. We have just taken her off Desmomelts (2 at bedtime weren't stopping her wetting) and Ditropan. She is still on Movicol.

Not sure how we are going forwards. We got an alarm but won't wear it at the moment.

This thread is great for finding people experiencing the same problems.

Whereisegg Thu 19-Feb-15 11:32:33

soup we agreed with ds that we would go pant-less after 7 dry nights in a row, can really recommend the wet stop alarm.
We got ours from amazon smile

Whereisegg Thu 19-Feb-15 11:31:19

ben will your ds not wear pull ups?
We called them night time pants and showed ds that they went up to age 15 to let him know it wasn't him.
I would really encourage their use for better quality sleep for all concerned!

soupmaker Thu 19-Feb-15 09:34:26

I'm just parking here but coming back later to read through. Our DD1 has just turned 7 and is still wet at night. We still use dry-nites and have tried desmomelts which haven't helped. It's all complicated by DD1 having had constipation and an irritable bladder so we are only just managing to keep clean and dry in daytime with medication and routine. (It's been a long, hard 4 years of sheer hell). She's recently had a couple of dry nights and is keen to stop wearing the dry-nights. She's a very deep sleeper too so I'm wondering if an alarm might help. Not sure how I will cope night after night of wet beds - suspect if we try we will need to invest in a washer-dryer.

benandhollyonrepeat Wed 18-Feb-15 21:58:34

lots of great advice on here but wondering if anyone has any advice on our situation...DS is 7.5 and was wet every single night, we tired everything for him, medication from the doctor, the alarm, hypnotherapy etc etc and nothing worked at all for him then he started getting the odd dry night which was amazing. Last August he suddenly became dry at night and we were down to only about one wet night a week at the max. I was soooooo happy for him and so relived the crazy amounts of washing was over. Anyway this lasted until January and suddenly he went back to being wet every night and now some nights it's even twice a night - I feel so down about it all again as I really thought we had cracked it. He is so desperate to be dry but every single night he wakes up in a wet bed. Does anyone have tips or been in a similar situation?? I really don't know what else I can try for him. sad

Whereisegg Wed 18-Feb-15 20:05:58

Hi mike smile
Hope you find this thread helpful!

fortheloveofmike Wed 18-Feb-15 14:17:03

Hi.. can I join. My ds is 7.2 and has only had the odd dry night with a run of 4 once..he sleeps so deeply and his nappies are so full in the morning. We need to get him to drink more in the day but he just has sips then at tea he has 2 big cups of juice..
Shall save this thread to read through later

Fresh01 Wed 18-Feb-15 13:59:51

Sorry to hear about your DS too. It is a slow frustrating process.....

Fresh01 Wed 18-Feb-15 13:58:53

In her ideal world she would wear nothing under her pj's.

Fresh01 Wed 18-Feb-15 13:57:52

She hasn't worn pull ups at night for over a year (she doesn't like wearing them) but every so often I ask her to wear them for a couple of weeks to give me a break from changing her bed 5 times a week.

I was trying the wet stop alarm clipped to pants under her PJ's.

Whereisegg Wed 18-Feb-15 10:07:34

Sorry I'm a bit unclear, will she not wear the pull ups either?

Ds wet the bed last night sad

Fresh01 Sun 15-Feb-15 20:34:20

Ok, so we have got the wet stop alarm and talked it all through, I've offered to sleep in her room etc, put it all on the last 2 nights then tears and she doesn't want it on. Says it is uncomfortable. I've been calm and said it doesn't matter and we will leave it a while but have asked her to wear pull ups again as I need a break from changing the bed 5 times a week. Also thinking the pull-up is like wearing pants to get use to that feeling as she doesn't wear pants otherwise. I know there is no point pushing the issue but any other ideas?

Whereisegg Thu 05-Feb-15 08:13:36

Lots of luck fresh, lots of alarm using tips on here smile
lemon will be pleased

Fresh01 Wed 04-Feb-15 21:57:35

We are still here too...........

The Paediatrician had put DD on the Desmomelts and Ditropan. Day time wetting has pretty much stopped now but nighttime still all over the place. I don't want her taking 2 lots of medication if it isn't helping her. So we agreed with him to stop the medication today and to try the alarm route. I am now away to look into the Wet-Stop.

ShinySilver Thu 29-Jan-15 10:17:08

Thanks ladies, you're lovely.

Yes I will carry on with the drinking, I don't want to lose the momentum now he has got really into it.

Maybe I should try an alarm then, I just wasn't sure if he would still be a bit young for that. Also he never wakes up wet in the night, just wakes up in the morning, so it would make a significant difference in terms of sleep interruption for all of us (maybe that's why I'm reluctant to do it really, I just don't want to get up in the night!) Also it seems a bit mean to put him through the hassle of an alarm when I could just put him back in pull ups for a bit longer.

I guess I should have a chat with him about it and see how he feels about the whole thing.

AugustRose Tue 27-Jan-15 20:41:02

Hi All
Welcome Shiny - I would persist with the drinking and try the alarm - we don't use pullups as we had already removed them to see if DD could do it on her own without the alarm. She couldn't but has been pretty good with the alarm and rarely wees enough to get on the bed.

I think the change in routine when they go back to school can have an effect, we had reached 3.5 weeks without the alarm and dry but since going back to school we had to put the alarm back on. I also wonder whether the cold is not helping (we have a very cold house) as DS2 who is almost 4 and still in pullups, has been pretty wet every morning for a few weeks when before that he had been almost dry.

So we have been back to up and down, few dry then few damp with the alarm followed by two soaked beds - not sure what happened there but I think she might have unplugged the alarm and gone back to sleep. Then we have had two nights dry where she slept right through! Nothing to do but keep going and hope we get another long stretch soon.

Whereisegg Tue 27-Jan-15 11:22:24

You could do all 3!
Big see through bottle for school, draw a couple of lines on it, first line by break, second by lunch, finished by pick up type thing?
We used pull ups right to the bitter end because I'm lazy ds was happy to.

I was quite lucky in that we didn't encounter any attitudes like you mentioned, but tbh we didn't really talk about it.
In all honesty, I didn't know much about it when dd was younger, no idea about the hormone etc so could have said stupid stuff blush

ShinySilver Tue 27-Jan-15 11:14:51

PS situation not helped this morning by someone at school saying they just took both their children out of night time pull ups when they potty trained them as it stopped them getting lazy angry angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now