my 6 yr old and her privates need proper advice

(10 Posts)
gemmaH26 Thu 24-Apr-14 14:59:07

my 6 yr old has started being a little rude with her privates her younger brother has got a push chair and she sits in it sometimes but when she does she pulls the middle strap up to her privates and it seems to me and other people like shes being rude but i dont know wot to do or think please help

NCISaddict Thu 24-Apr-14 15:03:36

It's perfectly normal and not particularly rude but she needs to be told it's something that girls do in private. Just tell her if she wants to do that she has to do it in her room, not in front of people.

gemmaH26 Thu 24-Apr-14 15:04:55

but shes 6 yrs old

gemmaH26 Thu 24-Apr-14 15:05:27

not a teenager exploring

Puggymamma Thu 24-Apr-14 15:16:45

My son is 2 and a half and he plays with his willy all the time. We just let him get on with it. Its his body. My friends daughter who is 7 did something similar. Theyjust said if she wants to do that, its fine but just asked her nicely to go up to her room, she did and has grown out of it. Whatever you do don't tell her she is being rude, you may cause problems in the future if she thinks that what she I doin I wrong....its not wrong, its just something for the privacy o her room. Personally I'd ignore it.

gemmaH26 Thu 24-Apr-14 15:21:53

ok but after a few days she complains that shes sore and has a cream from the doctors

JohFlow Thu 24-Apr-14 15:26:00

Children usually develop awareness of their bodies years before we are ready to discuss anything sexual. It seems to be a bit of curiosity with her and seeing how you react. Guidance just needs to be gentle at this stage as NCI suggests.

My DS at the same age stood and fiddled, hands-down-pants-stylee whilst doing party kareoke in front of a room full of people. The song was just over 3mins long - his fiddling was a few seconds longer. What a treat! It's like they suddenly realise they have bits. His singing was superb though. It was a mixed of cringe-worthy and amusing at the time.

This is a good opportunity to start talking about expectations as far as keeping herself covered go. In public just 'hey you - are you getting cold. Let's put this over you'. Should be age appropriate. Then you can set a rule at home - I want you to keep yourself covered up when we are out - then a reward when she starts doing it regularly.

Every parent is likely to go through this at some stage. The baptism of fire when you realise you child is becoming more aware of their physicality. And yes they are usually in public when it starts.

NCISaddict Thu 24-Apr-14 15:44:05

Still normal, many children start playing with themselves much earlier. I remember my daughter doing it and boys pull on themselves constantly as soon as they have access! It really is nothing to worry about but you should. especially as she is older, be reiterating that it is something to do in private.

NCISaddict Thu 24-Apr-14 15:46:34

I would suggest you distract her if it is making her sore but don't tell her off, she is not doing anything wrong in itself, just an inappropriate location ie in public.

If she needs cream from the GP then I would wonder if she is feeling uncomfortable or itchy and is trying to distract herself from the discomfort. So the fiddling might be a symptom of a problem, not the cause.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now