Three year olds. "I want" anyone else?

(10 Posts)
littleraysofsunshine Thu 24-Apr-14 13:21:40

I know it's an innocent age, but can be challenging! How do you tackle the "I want" scenarios. (Constant some days)

I try to get her to reword "I would like please, or may I have" but it's all the time some days. And she will say it in such a rude way to everything, toys on the TV, food, stuff that she knows we don't allow etc

Pushpantpush Thu 24-Apr-14 18:55:15

There is a great book called "The I want that monster" Can't recall who the author is but picked it up in sainsburys. Worked a treat with my three year old. Good luck x

m0therofdragons Thu 24-Apr-14 18:57:57

I ask them to ask nicely and maybe I'll say yes (if I am planning on saying yes) but this does mean I'm prepared to say no if they fail to ask nicely. If I do say no then I put up with the fall out and then go on to distract. If I planned to say yes but they've not asked nicely then I say no then once they calm down I will ask if they'd like to try again at asking nicely. Consistency is the key ime. It is hard though. Dd1 never asked for biscuits, dtds constantly demand them. Earlier dd1 asked for chocolate milkshake (she's 6) and I said yes. The twins are almost 3 and were both asleep. They woke up and dd1 was still drinking her milkshake so dtd1 went into melt down demanding chocolate mousse. I didn't realise she meant a milkshake and was dishing up dinner so said no she couldn't have a pudding before eating dinner... queue lots of tears and noise. I suddenly realised what she meant and said she could have a milkshake with dinner as her drink but only if she calmed down and asked nicely... she didn't ask nicely so she didn't get one until after dinner when I asked if she'd like one and she replied "yes please mummy!"
I also do vague replies sometimes when they say they want a toy etc "oh yes isn't it lovely, maybe another time not now though." or just "oh err hmmm maybe" then keep walking passed the toys and come up with a task to distract them like carrying the washing up liquid etc.

littleraysofsunshine Thu 24-Apr-14 22:00:52

<mother> I know what you mean with the toys. Anything on an advert dd1 wants. "Yeah, lovely. Maybe for your birthday...." Lol

MarzipanMouse Fri 25-Apr-14 07:06:03

We bought an egg timer for our 3yo. If she doesn't ask nicely first time the timer goes on and she can't ask again until it has run out (3 minutes I think). We explained what it was for when it arrived and to start with explained why it was going on but now if she says 'I want. . . .' I just turn it over and she knows why. It has really helped.

wiltingfast Fri 25-Apr-14 13:21:27

God I just nod sagely and agree with them! It doesn't seem to be a demand form my two, more an observation.... never escalates anyway into proper demanding and tears

Suzietwo Fri 25-Apr-14 21:31:44

I tell them not to be so rude and never give them anything they say I want about. Does the job

hotcrosshunny Fri 25-Apr-14 22:59:37

I would model the correct phrase (do you say I want to them, because if so then no surprise that they use it too)

MiaSparrow Sat 26-Apr-14 13:37:40

I don't hear "I want". I totally ignore DD - no eye contact, nothing - until she says "Please may I have..."

It's a start, but it doesn't automatically mean yes, either. There must be something about the threes! hmm

MiaSparrow Sat 26-Apr-14 13:39:05

Marzipan I WANT your egg timer!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now