Almost 4 year old fears and scared

(6 Posts)
Macey78 Tue 22-Apr-14 20:15:11

We have a lovely dd 3 yrs 9 months who seems to have developed a fear of the dark. We reassure her that we are here and that we wouldn't let anything happen. Is insisting that the bed side lamp is left on.

Also in the day when we are upstairs she won't go downstairs on her own. Saying she's scared. Up until a couple of weeks ago she would come down and play go to the toilet no problem.

Any advice welcomed.
Are there any books that I could read to her?

hotcrosshunny Tue 22-Apr-14 20:18:12

Normal. I would acknowledge her fears not brush them aside by saying its fine. I remember being terrified at that age! My DS has a fear of the dark - we sit with him at bedtime, explain what the dark is and I also told him that I used to be scared as a little girl as well. He seems much better now (4.5). He also shares with his sister which helps.

Macey78 Tue 22-Apr-14 20:22:21

Thanks hot cross. I'll make more of an effort to acknowledge her fears. DH is very good at this.
Am I doing the right thing telling her the dark is when the sun goes to bed which means we can go to sleep.

hotcrosshunny Tue 22-Apr-14 20:27:57

Yes I also told DS that everything is still the same when it is dark. He didn't believe me atfirst but I let him use a torch and night light so he could check.

Macey78 Tue 22-Apr-14 20:37:45

A torch sounds like a good idea.
Thank you

ocelot41 Fri 25-Apr-14 19:29:26

Normal. My DS did this at exactly the same age. We fitted a dimmer switch and let him sleep with the light on low. Grew out of it a year later (ish). Now sleeps with o/head light off, nightlight, door open and landing light on. Having a bedside light he could control was also good as he could turn it on if scared, check there was nothing there, and turn it off again. Ikea's kids ones are good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now