DS terribly sore loser, what can be done??

(2 Posts)
AmenGirl Tue 22-Apr-14 13:51:51

6 yr old boy - only child, not very competitive due to sensitive nature. Gets really upset when he loses anything from board games to 'race you to that tree!' type games. I can see how frustrating it is for him, he bursts into tears, shakes his fists, clenches up, gets red, etc but what can we do? We sometimes let him win but when he's playing with other children they don't and (rightly so) shouldn't have to. Any ideas or suggestions? Could it just be a phase or an age thing? Or are boys naturally competitive/sore losers?

justwondering72 Wed 23-Apr-14 07:23:49

I've been told to let them win everything up to the age if six, then they start to be able to lose gracefully! Maybe you just have to wait a little longer.

Ds also six just recently started being able to lose gracefully.

I have a friend who takes a different tack - she and her family go in for a lot of ribbing about playing games, being over dramatic about winning and losing. Possibly it distracts her dd from getting her up about it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now