DS is now down to ONE dinner he will eat - wwyd?

(33 Posts)
PenelopeChipShop Tue 22-Apr-14 12:39:09

I'm sure this must have been done a thousand times but I really do think I have a very fussy eater. He is virtually surviving on fresh air. Sometimes he'll eat porridge or cereal for breakfast - maybe half the time he eats a decent breakfast. Lunch is almost always virtually rejected, even foods I know he likes, or did like recently - he just picks. I judge how much he's eaten in numbers of mouthfuls. And dinner will now be rejected unless it is fish baked in passata with either pasta or rice - that is it. No chicken, no beef, no other meat whatsoever, he will only eat fish, though he will eat different sorts of fish so at least I can vary that.

Until recently I was serving up different dinners anyway even though I knew he wouldn't touch them, but have recently got a bit beaten down and am now just serving salmon, trout, cod, haddock on rotation but it always looks the same as it has to be served the same way. I think I must be doing something wrong here but I CANNOT get him to eat anything else. I honestly don't know how he keeps going on so little. Have spoken to health visitors several times and they are always extremely breezy and unconcerned. His weight is pretty much bang on average and he doesn't look skinny. But HOW? Any thoughts? Every mum I seem to speak to in real life seems to say theirs loves their food etc and I feel like throwing a tantrum myself.

PenelopeChipShop Wed 23-Apr-14 13:54:13

Toddler I mean!

Alibabaandthe40nappies Wed 23-Apr-14 14:01:57

3 BFs a day at that age is going to be giving him a fairly significant amount of milk - I'm not disapproving, my own just-3 year old still has one BF a day.

So with all that milk, plus what sounds like a good dinner - albeit the same thing over and over - and fruit and the odd mouthful of cereal, he is getting enough calories.

The fussiness is really normal at that age, my two both went though it. They do get better eventually!

Beastofburden Wed 23-Apr-14 14:20:27

Toddler taming is the business. As the great man said: Toddlers eat like birds. Some like sparrows; some like vultures grin.

It's one of the most reassuring and sane books you will ever buy. I could not have got throgh those years without it.

justwondering72 Wed 23-Apr-14 21:53:13

Try also 'My child won't eat' by Carlos Gonzalez, especially good for still bf toddlers.

Ds 2 was still having a lot more than three bf a bay at that age. Tbh as long as he's bf I don't worry about what he eats, BM is a more complete food for a baby than any meal you can offer him. Keep offering, keep food fun, and be assured that the BM is filling all the gaps, if there are any.

Coveredinweetabix Wed 23-Apr-14 22:02:34

For lunch, why don't you give him a snacky plate of things you know he'll eat (pepper & cucumber) & some things he might eat like cubes of cheese, strips of pitta bread etc

reindeesandchristmastrees Wed 23-Apr-14 22:06:32

My DSS at 8 only ate - weetabix, p'nut butter and jelly (jam) sandwiches, chicken nuggets, pizza, macaroni cheese, apples (rarely) and not a lot of any of it. He drank Sunny D. He was so skinny and we really worried about him. At 13 (he came to live with us but I take no credit) he started to eat a bit more, by about 15 he ate everything in sight and had a preference for highly spiced food. Now at 21 he is fully grown 6' and a sensible but enthusiastic eater. If you had told me he would have changed and developed so I wouldn't have believed you

Kundry Wed 23-Apr-14 22:19:15

Absolutely nothing wrong with him breastfeeding but that's why he can afford to be so fussy about food - he isn't hungry!

He has lots of lovely nutritious milk, pasta, fish and vegetables. This is a great diet! But his portions will only need to be tiny - he isn't living on air, he's actually having lots of all the right foods but he's cottoned on to your mummy worries and now getting lots of lovely attention from you as you are so anxious about what he eats.

Could you try writing down everything he eats (and drinks!) for a week - I suspect it would be more varied and nutritious than you realise as currently you can only see the stress.

If you try offering other things and he won't eat it, don't panic - children don't starve themselves. He'll either try it eventually or find other things to eat (which is what he is doing now with fruit). Whilst making you anxious and worried because that it the job of kids smile

itsonlysubterfuge Thu 24-Apr-14 06:51:25

Yes Penelope, I have cut down her BF to three a day she is not impressed and I can tell she's hungry, but she still refuses to eat. Hopefully we'll both get there in time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now