Toddler hitting and throwing

(5 Posts)
Lizzylivi81 Mon 21-Apr-14 18:34:12

Hi everyone.
I'm new here and haven't written a post before so bare with me! smile
My ds behaviour is starting to worry me mainly as I have no idea how to handle it! He is 1 yr 8.months and anytime he is told no or something he doesn't like he will go around throwing anything and everything that comes to hand. He actually walks around looking for things to throw (chairs, toys, juice cups ) the bigger the better I've noticed.
He also hits a lot. He was worse with hitting and would hit his cousins or any child that got too close. Thankfully this has stopped now but again if told no or something he doesn't like, after throwing whatever he can, he comes over to hit me. He hits me really hard and has bust my lip on several occasions.
I just don't know how I should be reacting to him.
Sorry for the long post. Any advice great fully received grin

CharlotteCollins Mon 21-Apr-14 22:59:04

Help him to understand that:

- it's ok to be cross
- the answer is still no
- it's not safe to throw things (you might want to give him an alternative like a cushion to hit or something simple to say)
- it's not acceptable to hit

One of my DCs went through a stage like this and I took him to the bathroom because there wasn't much to throw in there (not that he could reach!). I usually use the stairs as a space for calming down for the same reason.

Each time it happens, reiterate how it's ok that he's feeling cross but not ok to throw or hit.

Don't let him hit you - hold his hands still, firmly. Now is the time to teach him all this, while you can still stop him, hold him, carry him.

If you feel you're getting cross yourself, get a break. But having a plan like this can help you feel in charge again, which helps you keep calm.

Lizzylivi81 Tue 22-Apr-14 08:04:16

Thanks for this. I will give these a try today and see how we get on. I think one of my problems is I get cross too mainly as I don't know what to do.

Thanks again. smile

LittlePink Tue 22-Apr-14 13:13:23

My LO went through a phase of hitting me. Shes stopped now thankfully but it lasted about 3 mths from 18-21mths. I found the most effective thing was to not offer a warning but to immediately take her straight to the corner, get down to her level and say "im putting you here because you hit me" then walk away and ignore her. She would come running after me doing the baby sign for sorry and saying sorry too whilst crying. I would pick her up and put her on my knee and say "you hurt mummy and made mummy feel very sad". Then she would give me a cuddle and a kiss, then leave it at that and move on. She eventually just stopped doing it and hasn't done it for weeks now. Fingers crossed!

CharlotteCollins Tue 22-Apr-14 14:48:22

I got cross with DC1 and DC2, just about held it together for DC3 and finally DC4 usually doesn't ruffle a feather! I finally feel confident (most days) that I can do an ok job.

Let us know how you got on. Don't expect a big change straight away - it takes consistency for a week or two to see a real result, I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now