Teething and pooing at night?

(9 Posts)
SourSweets Mon 21-Apr-14 03:51:33

My nearly 9 month old has suddenly started pooing at night. He's done it every night for 5 nights now, usually about 3am, but otherwise hasn't pooed at night since he was about 6 weeks old.

Does teething make this happen? It's not runny but is quite smelly. He's otherwise well apart from in pain with the teething and has had a temperature one night of the 5. He's been a bit off his solid food and is breastfeeding more, especially at night.

Just wondering if it's normal or a sign that he might be ill.

Thank you.

MooseBeTimeForSpring Mon 21-Apr-14 04:26:08

I found DS's poo had an unusual, slightly chemical, smell when he was teething.

NoisyBrain Mon 21-Apr-14 19:55:35

My DS went back to pooing at night when he was cutting his first 2 teeth.

HTH

naty1 Mon 21-Apr-14 20:21:30

I think it can be excess saliva when teething causes the smell. Looser poop too.
Mine did bf more for comfort when teething.

QueMierda Mon 21-Apr-14 20:26:34

DD (9mths) has done the same this week. She is now getting her third tooth. Unfortunately accompanied by nappy rash.

IHaveSeenMyHat Mon 21-Apr-14 21:45:10

Absolutely yes.

Sometimes I didn't know my DD was teething until she started pooing in her sleep.

PookBob Mon 21-Apr-14 21:49:59

My dd is 2.5 yrs and has two back molars left to emerge. I know they are on their way as she is back pooing in the middle of the night and they honk smile

Fizzybangfanny Mon 21-Apr-14 21:51:23

DD (9mths) has done the same this week. She is now getting her third tooth. Unfortunately accompanied by nappy rash

God yes. sad

SourSweets Wed 23-Apr-14 05:05:32

Thank you everyone, that's really reassuring. He's just done another one tonight.

He's definitely breastfeeding more at night too, because of his teething. I'm knackered and he is too, poor thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now