Have you smacked her yet?

(22 Posts)
solitudehappiness Fri 11-Apr-14 18:35:35

My sister asked me today if I'd smacked my dd who is 10 months old. I don't believe in smacking and won't ever smack her. Sister says she will run rings around me.
I was shocked that my sister would even consider thinking about smacking a 10 month old baby.
Am I right to be shocked?

eltsihT Fri 11-Apr-14 18:41:08

I would be shocked too. I think smacking children teaches them that if someone annoys you it's ok to hit them.

I have a 10mo and a 3 year old and have never smacked either if them and never intend too.

snickers251 Fri 11-Apr-14 18:41:23

Well I'm shocked shock

Treaclepot Fri 11-Apr-14 18:56:57

YANBU. Don't let her look after your baby.

AdoraBell Fri 11-Apr-14 18:59:59

I agree, don't leave your baby with her. Does your DM or DF also believe in smacking DCs?

KateShmate Fri 11-Apr-14 19:26:47

What an odd thing to say!?
Even to someone who agrees with smacking, you wouldn't say 'Ooh, have you put her on the naughty step yet?' ... because she's 10 months old!
Why would your sister ever think it was okay to hit a baby? sad

solitudehappiness Fri 11-Apr-14 19:33:44

We both think very differently about parenting! She doesn't agree with my style of parenting. I happened to mention that dd was getting into everything and was cheeky, which I found funny. This prompted my sister to ask if I'd smacked her yet. I won't leave her to look after her, and luckily (sorry if this sounds horrible) she lives about a 2 hour drive away from me. DM and DF both believe in smacking DC's and we were smacked lots as children. Think thats why its puts me off from smacking my own children.

jumblebee Fri 11-Apr-14 19:37:16

I don't believe in smacking children, never mind a 10 month old baby!

My DD is just a little younger than yours and I wouldn't dream of ever hitting her confused

upyourninja Fri 11-Apr-14 19:37:33

She may as well have asked if you have taught her that bullying and physical violence is the way to intimidate someone smaller than you yet.

Stick to your guns, if asked again give a tinkly laugh, toss your hair, and say 'oh no, she's so very well behaved, she's nothing like your lot' and move on. And do not let her babysit!

Bedsheets4knickers Fri 11-Apr-14 20:08:47

I'm sorry 10 months nooooo

hotcrosshunny Fri 11-Apr-14 20:33:41

Tell her to fuck off. I would!

randomAXEofkindness Fri 11-Apr-14 20:55:19

She sounds like she must have a screw loose.

I'm getting the rage now thinking about what I would do if I saw someone smacking a 10 month old baby. Un-fucking-believable.

Has she got children? Please say no.

TheKangaroo Fri 11-Apr-14 21:33:11

I would be shock

I live in a country where smacking is the norm (sometimes harsher than that too) and where I am given funny looks for not smacking. Even here someone smacking a baby, or even a kid under 2 or so, would be completely shocking to most people. Can't imagine looking at a 10mnth old and think it was appropriate to hit her.

AdoraBell Sat 12-Apr-14 03:15:20

No need to be sorry about being pleased at the 2 hour distance, sounds perfectly sensible to mewink.

And I wouldn't let the grandparents too close either if they believe in smacking children. You need to make it absolutely clear to them all that you will not accept your DCs being smacked by anyone. Hope your DH/DP is on board too.

solitudehappiness Sat 12-Apr-14 13:05:16

She has got 3 children, who have left home now. When she asked me if I'd smacked her yet, my first thought was, are you mad? I could never imagine smacking my baby. Poor little love. Yes, she can be frustrating and very cheeky at times, but certainly not deserving of being smacked. More laughed at smile

SimLondon Sat 12-Apr-14 19:23:33

Smacking kids is borderline illegal in this country these days. Does your sis tend to smack adults around?

ParkingFred Sat 12-Apr-14 19:26:37

Your sister is a twit.

I have 2 non smacked children, the eldest of whom is 15.

No rings run around me, ever.

Hitting children is weak. Rubbish and abusive parenting.

Mrswellyboot Sat 12-Apr-14 19:27:59

sad

Ten months old. What the f**k? I'd tell her so too- how cruel. Babies are only learning to communicate

charitygirl Sat 12-Apr-14 19:32:55

I really don't even think a 10 month old can be 'cheeky' to be honest.

MariaJenny Sat 12-Apr-14 19:56:55

Never smacked a child ever. I think it's abhorrent. It is also against the law if it leaves a mark. We were never smacked as children either, not once and did very well.

MexicanSpringtime Mon 14-Apr-14 05:32:32

Uuuf, I'm not totally against smacking, but can't imagine why you would ever want to smack such a small baby. How can a small baby do something bad?

solitudehappiness Mon 14-Apr-14 12:48:10

I won't ever smack her. Don't believe in it.
As for babies being cheeky, my dd is! When she's about to do something she knows she's not really allowed, like pull the sky box off, which can hurt her, she'll turn to me and give me a grin before doing it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now