Is my two week old sleeping too much?

(6 Posts)
Cocolikeschocolate Thu 03-Apr-14 14:33:49

My little one can't seem to stay awake for any length if time at all, she falls asleep on the breast after a 10 to 15 minute feed. She is oblivious to ambient noises or my trying to wake her up. On average she is sleeping approx 19 or 20 hours a day. She has had a cold for the past few days so is struggling with a blocked nose which might have something to do with it but I'm just worried that she's sleeping too much, I even have to wake her at night to make sure she doesn't miss her feeds as she doesn't appear to wake herself with hunger pains - is this okay?

Many thanks from a first time worried mum.

Mogz Thu 03-Apr-14 15:44:29

Don't worry, newborns sleep LOADS. So long as she is feeding ok at least every 3 hours and is having wet and dirty nappies she should be getting all the nutrients needed.
How difficult is it to wake her up if you need to? We used to have to tickle the bottom of my dd's feet or stroke her cheek with a cool flannel to wake her on a very sleepy day.
Do you get along with your health visitor? Perhaps it's worth having a chat about what to expect over the next few weeks as your little one and you get used to each other.
Congratulations on the birth of your daughter.

Purplelooby Thu 03-Apr-14 19:55:23

She is sleeping exactly the right amount. At 4/5 weeks after due date they start wanting less sleep but still a lot. At this age though up to 20 hours is very normal.

Cocolikeschocolate Fri 04-Apr-14 10:56:50

Thanks both - the tickling trick seems to work to get her suckling and nappies are all standard so maybe I'm just being overly nervous. Thanks for reassuring me and for the congratulations - being a mam feels great! X

Glad you are enjoying your LO coco. smile

My LO was exactly the same, just make sure you use the time she is asleep to rest and relax and don't try and do too much too soon. I did and ended up weakening my pelvic floor muscles.

If you are worried, just look to see if her skin or the whites of her eyes are at all yellow, sometimes jaundice can make them sleepier than usual, but 20 hours of sleep isn't excessive for such a young baby.

crispyporkbelly Fri 04-Apr-14 12:26:02

Totally normal and boy do I miss those days lazing on the sofa with a dozing newborn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now