How bad can teething be?

(6 Posts)
curiousgeorgie Wed 02-Apr-14 15:22:00

My DD (9 months) has always been a pretty grumpy baby... But this week has been hellish. Uncontrollable screaming, not wanting to be put down, fights every nap & bottle and even cries in the pram & carseat while moving. (Which is usually my godsend!)

She's had really bad nappies for 2 days and a very snotty nose and rashy face (though that's not totally unusual)

I've just noticed that she's cut her first tooth... Can this all be symptomatic of that? Or should I see the GP?

Lvmy2girls Wed 02-Apr-14 16:48:46

Teething can be bad but rash , bad nappy and snotty nose I would rather be safe than sorry and go see a doctor for sure.

My dd1 did have flu like symptoms with teething but not a rash and could settle her by holding her still asleep .

naty1 Wed 02-Apr-14 19:25:21

Well teething issues usually get better quickly after it is through the gum (though they usually come in pairs to the one next to it could also be coming up.)
We never had a rash. But is it where they are dribbling?

MyNameIsSuz Wed 02-Apr-14 19:29:24

Teething can be awful! Mine has most of his teeth now and has had a total mixed bag of symptoms with each one, but several of the teeth have caused vomiting, very high temperatures and a crazily snotty nose. Horrible stuff. Don't feel bad about giving calpol!

Isabelle12 Thu 03-Apr-14 05:57:11

my almost-10 month son is going through teething - 4 have fully hatched, and more are on the way. He's not overly bad in terms of temperament, but he does currently have a very bad rash over much of his body. At first, I thought it was his diet, but no, I have to put it down to his teething. Otherwise, and at the moment, I seem to be getting off with the teething process relatively lightly, but I most certainly feel for you, a lot!

givemecaffeine21 Thu 03-Apr-14 14:30:00

My DS (9 months) teethes like this, he's unbearable when he's teething. We have 4 already and 2 on the way which seem to be taking forever to pop through. My niece was the worst teether I've ever seen - her entire face would swell up and her nappies were so acidic that one day she was covered in blisters down there. She really suffered. My daughter on the other hand might be a tad grumpy but only in hindsight. The only way we know is when her cheeks go red or she has a dribble rash as she makes no fuss at all. I'm not sure if it's because she's not prone to fussing in general about illness, or if she's just had an easier time with her teeth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now