Feeling bad, am I reasonable?

(8 Posts)
littleraysofsunshine Thu 27-Mar-14 13:11:17

Dd1 is 3.5yrs. Dd2 is 22months, and ds is 8 weeks old.

Dd1 started every morning preschool in jan, and when we come home from picking up dd2 an sometimes ds is sleeping.

Dd1 seems very tired some days but refuses a nap so instead I try "quiet time" DVD, quiet calm lunch together, garden play, or a quiet activity. I try to do it with her but sometimes I jut need five minutes peace where I want to just be whilst the other two nap. She's a dear little thig but she will just keep asking for me to do things, or do it all with her. It's odd because some days she'll happily play on her own but others she will just hover until I do something with her/for her or I end up snapping and yelling where she just goes on and on.

I always say that when the there are awake we will do an activity (like today were going to bake cakes)

But she is just rabbiting on and being very loud.

I feel awful ;(

AwfulMaureen Thu 27-Mar-14 14:30:28

Well I think you are being unreasonable to expect her not to want you to herself when her smaller siblings are asleep! I understand that feeling of "just bugger off and leave me be" but at 3 she needs some one to one with you.

TheGreatHunt Thu 27-Mar-14 15:00:01

Stick the TV on then!

throckenholt Thu 27-Mar-14 15:03:29

Have you tried laying down for a nap with her - make a treat of it - if not a nap then a quiet chat time on your bed - the rule is she has to be very quiet - whispering only.

Hopefully that would give you both some recharge time.

littleraysofsunshine Thu 27-Mar-14 16:46:28

It's not a case of bugger off at all. I give her one on one time, but she expects it all the time lately. Even if I want to grab a sandwich, water etc she won't give me a break!

littleraysofsunshine Thu 27-Mar-14 16:47:17

I try quiet time but she won't be quiet or sit still.

Nevercan Thu 27-Mar-14 17:06:27

I put a special program on the tv (current favourite is paw patrol) and ask her to lay on the sofa with a cosy blanket) She will actually stay still for about half an hour which is enough to recharge and sometimes falls asleep. If she fidgets too much I tell her she has to rest in her bed with no tv and she soon sits still lol

Jbck Thu 27-Mar-14 17:30:37

I used quiet time when DDs were that age and has dropped naps, sometimes just put on some nice soothing music and had a lie down or cuddle on the sofa.

I tried to avoid tv if possible as it didn't lead to much quiet. Sometimes they fell asleep sometimes it just gave us 30 mins downtime. I couldn't always get it alone but at least I didn't feel I had to be entertaining.

I sympathise you must struggle for me time with those ages.

Can anyone else pck her up one day to give you an hour to yourself whilst the others nap?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now