Shopping with a baby

(10 Posts)
moomin35 Thu 27-Mar-14 10:16:34

Ok, please be warned, dumb question from a first time Mum. I'm not long off giving birth and am beginning to think about the real realities of having a baby! If i drive into town with baby in its car seat can I take the car seat (with baby in) out at the other end and pop baby in car seat in a trolley in order to do a supermarket shop? There would be no need for a pram in this instance would there?

it's not dumb at all, it's impossible to imagine the practicalities of having a baby until you actually have one...and of course they're all different so what some will tolerate others will hate!

I'd never say this to anyone in RL but I'm really not sure of the safety aspect of those shopping trolleys that the carseat sits on top of. I read about a Mum once who went over a bump in the Car park and her baby was thrown upside down on his head on the ground and didn't survive. that was enough to put me off! I've seen lots of people use them though so they must feel they're safe. sorry to be all dramatic, I'd just want to know the risks.

you could use a sling for baby or carry the carseat while they're small? or you can get a padded cover for the baby seats that are built in? I do most of my shopping online or with the DC in the pushchair myself. you'll figure something out!

ipswichwitch Thu 27-Mar-14 10:25:22

Most supermarkets have trolleys with a platform bit on top to stick the car seat in, but being short I always struggle to see over the top! There's also plenty of trolleys with a sort of reclined baby seat on them (moulded plastic type with harness), and that's what I usually use tbh. So no, you don't need a pram for a supermarket trip, just carry baby from car to trolley

Mrswellyboot Thu 27-Mar-14 10:27:20

I have a six month old and found it hard to grocery shop the first couple of times so I put the car seat into the deep trolley blush

Now he's older I have used the trolley with baby seat no problems but I don't take my eyes off him

Mrswellyboot Thu 27-Mar-14 10:28:53

Meant to add that most of the time I wait until dh gets in and I lied the whizz around myself. Then just got for walks etc with the baby on comfort

ipswichwitch Thu 27-Mar-14 10:29:08

nice, I've only ever used those trolleys if they have a seatbelt to fasten the car seat in. If it's properly adjusted and fastened it shouldn't be an issue ime.
A sling is a good idea, I often use it if I can't find a trolley with both baby and toddler seats

ElinElin Thu 27-Mar-14 11:13:51

Simple solution always worked for me: Baby sling. I used my 'baby bjorn'. You have 2 hands free and baby is close to you so will be happy. I found it so easy shopping with baby sling. Until they become too big for it and to heavy ......

ZuleikaD Thu 27-Mar-14 11:21:55

Agree with the sling suggestion - much MUCH easier than toting a carseat around. Don't recommend the baby bjorn for a newborn though.

JuniperHeartwand Thu 27-Mar-14 16:31:29

I'd recommend online grocery shopping for the first few months to be honest!

LostMySocks Thu 27-Mar-14 16:31:35

I always use a sling for my 5mo when I do a trolley shop and have done since he was tiny. I feel safer with him close to me when the store is busy and if I want to leave the trolley at the end of the aisle I can. He often has a nap while we're shopping. He also loves to look around and flirt with everyone he can. We have scan and shop so I just scan straight into bags and tranafer to the car. I live close to the shops so do top up bits with the pram

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now